Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Ale grist thoughts  (Read 1583 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Pale Ale grist thoughts
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:45:14 am »
Quick question - for a pale ale grist. I can't make up my mind:

90% Marris Otter
5% White Wheat Malt
5% C-60

or...

90% Marris Otter
10% White Wheat Malt

or...

95% Marris Otter
5% C-60

or...

just 100% Marris Otter??

Oh, and while I'm at it, any thoughts on Amirillo, Cascade, Simcoe, Galaxy as an even blend? For yeast I'm going to try out Belle Saison. With the kegerator full I wanted a strain that could take temps hitting the high 70s, low 80s without a negative effect.

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
Re: Pale Ale grist thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:02:31 am »
Only choosing from the three, I would choose the first one.  The wheat malt will add a little bit of body and a hint of a wheat/bread flavor.  The C60 will add slight color while helping out in head retention and caramel flavor.

As for the hops, I would use the Simco as the bittering with Galaxy being used around the 20-45 minute mark (or even as a First Wort Hop), and finish it off with the Amarillo and Cascade (and maybe even smidgens of Galaxy and Simcoe.)  Dry hop with Amarillo to get a full tropical fruit/citrus aroma.  Keep the IBUs around 35.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how it turn out.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:38:21 am »
Since you using a saison yeast I would do the second one. Bouncing off the discussion on caramel malts in another thread, I really do not care for caramel malt and saison yeast. I would also ask what you are looking for in the grist composition with a saison yeast? That yeast is going to throw out a lot of character. I would also caution the amount of ibu's you put in with this yeast.
Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
Since you using a saison yeast I would do the second one. Bouncing off the discussion on caramel malts in another thread, I really do not care for caramel malt and saison yeast. I would also ask what you are looking for in the grist composition with a saison yeast? That yeast is going to throw out a lot of character. I would also caution the amount of ibu's you put in with this yeast.

Good advice.         BrodyR - I'm just trying to figure out what you're shooting for here. I see 'pale ale', Maris otter, and saison yeast. I personally only use Maris Otter in British styles (though some use it in American ales). I agree with kmccaf to watch IBUs and limit crystal in saison. Was there a style or specific beer you were wanting to emulate ? Not being critical - I like to brew to style usually for the challenge, but there's a place for experimentation too. Just curious.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:08:05 pm »

Good advice.         BrodyR - I'm just trying to figure out what you're shooting for here. I see 'pale ale', Maris otter, and saison yeast. I personally only use Maris Otter in British styles (though some use it in American ales). I agree with kmccaf to watch IBUs and limit crystal in saison. Was there a style or specific beer you were wanting to emulate ? Not being critical - I like to brew to style usually for the challenge, but there's a place for experimentation too. Just curious.
+2 to all of this. If you're looking to try out a Saison yeast, then you probably want to brew a Saison to start. If your temps are too high to brew a Pale Ale, then I think you're better off holding off until you're able to do it properly.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pale Ale grist thoughts
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 07:04:57 pm »
I like a wheat in my Pale Ale also but usually go with 1056 or US-05.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:50 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I was going for an experimental brew. A local brewer mentioned a couple months back that he brewed his standard bitter recipe but with some american hops and belle saision and he thought it turned out great so I figured I'd try out the unusual combo before it got consistently cool enough to ferment with other strains outside the kegerator. I ended up going with the wheat and no crystal but cutting some of the MO out for US 2-Row.