Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Am I thinking they are crazy, or am I missing something? (HOPS QUESTION)  (Read 1509 times)

Offline karrezza

• 1st Kit
I picked up 9 lbs of Cascade hops in the Moxee Valley. Due to their sloppy harvesting , it falls off the trucks constantly and i was there to grab vines before anyone ran them over!  I also found some wild growing near the farms, in ditches but can tell by identification  methods most likely also Cascade as the Moxee area typically grows only 3 varieties and the others didnt look at all like this.

Anyhoo.. I offered to send to my brother for his friend. He said 9 lbs of fresh hops  (this is wetter, only dried overnight, as I didn't want to ship totally wet, with no cold storage available)  is enough for TWO 5 gallon batches.

TWO??? I looked up the hoppiest recipes and NONE ever come close to maybe 16 oz tops of hops for 5 gal brews, but 4.5 lbs???  its roughly a 4.5 to 7 ibus from what I read.  Is this person crazy?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Am I thinking they are crazy, or am I missing something? (HOPS QUESTION)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:56:45 am »
I picked up 9 lbs of Cascade hops in the Moxee Valley. Due to their sloppy harvesting , it falls off the trucks constantly and i was there to grab vines before anyone ran them over!  I also found some wild growing near the farms, in ditches but can tell by identification  methods most likely also Cascade as the Moxee area typically grows only 3 varieties and the others didnt look at all like this.

Anyhoo.. I offered to send to my brother for his friend. He said 9 lbs of fresh hops  (this is wetter, only dried overnight, as I didn't want to ship totally wet, with no cold storage available)  is enough for TWO 5 gallon batches.

TWO??? I looked up the hoppiest recipes and NONE ever come close to maybe 16 oz tops of hops for 5 gal brews, but 4.5 lbs???  its roughly a 4.5 to 7 ibus from what I read.  Is this person crazy?

Generally, a pound of cones with no vines would dry out to about 3-4 ounces.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:22:46 pm »
9 lbs fresh hops is the equivalent of roughly 2 pounds of dried hops. I guess that will be alright if he wants to try to stretch that out to 2 batches. FWIW, I use 17 ounces in 3 gallons of IPA, but I admit I have a bit of a hop problem.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline karrezza

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:34:19 pm »
Well these dried overnight, so I would not consider them totally fresh fully wet hops. But I understand what you are saying. 

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:23 pm »
I have often thought of gleaning hops after the harvesters have gone through a field, but you beat me to it.  I will correct you on one point though - there are a lot of varieties grown in the Moxee area, including several experimental varieties.  When I have considered gleaning, I thought I would ask permission followed by asking which varieties were in which area so I would know what I would have.

It would be so cool to have someone glean while the grain is in the mash tun.  Those volatile oils would have no time to evaporate!  A wet hop Citra/Amarillo APA/AIPA would be delicious!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »
I have never used the equivalent of 14 oz dried in a batch before.  That's quite a bit.  Seems you'd have a huge volume loss from that.  But whatever suits your fancy I guess.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:19:53 pm »
FWIW, I like to use ~ a lb (sometimes more) in 5 gallons of AIPA. The loss in 5 gallons is not extensive.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:19:13 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »
From what I understand its about 5x the amount of wet hops for what you'd use dry or pellet? Any who, I too use close to a pound in some IPAs and if you account for the additional loss you still package what you desire
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »
The number for wet to commercially dried comes out to 4.6 time wet to dry.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!