Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermentation take off  (Read 1461 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
fermentation take off
« on: October 02, 2014, 04:21:56 pm »
I have a question that I know is a newbie one. I re pitched a saga clone on top of last batches saga clone cake and I noticed fermentation like crazy within hours but two days later put put on the air lock. Seems like a real slow down. I haven't checked gravity but i suspect the yeast had a feast and did their thing (for the most part) is this going to adversely effect the flavor of the beer?

I posted in the recipes forum a little while back about this summit saga clone recipe and I have made this beer probably 8 times now. I'm learning the smallest changes on brew day can really effect your outcome as far as
taste goes. I notice significant taste changes and I cant figure out what I did? same yeast recipe kettle blah blah blah? Very puzzling.
Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: fermentation take off
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 04:46:24 pm »
Sounds like you over pitched. The amount of yeast certainly can affect the flavor. Too much leaves a beer with less character.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 04:54:27 am »
I have a question that I know is a newbie one. I re pitched a saga clone on top of last batches saga clone cake and I noticed fermentation like crazy within hours but two days later put put on the air lock. Seems like a real slow down. I haven't checked gravity but i suspect the yeast had a feast and did their thing (for the most part) is this going to adversely effect the flavor of the beer?

I posted in the recipes forum a little while back about this summit saga clone recipe and I have made this beer probably 8 times now. I'm learning the smallest changes on brew day can really effect your outcome as far as
taste goes. I notice significant taste changes and I cant figure out what I did? same yeast recipe kettle blah blah blah? Very puzzling.

having just asked this question before i did a batch using previous slurry - yes you over pitched if you did the same size and gravity brew on an entire yeast cake/slurry. mr. malty was where i was directed-there you can figure out how much slurry to collect and resuse for your brew. you likely only needed about a 1 to 1.5 cups of the slurry.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 05:06:13 am »
Your beer is probably not ruined, but it may not be as good as it could have been. Over pitching can have negative effects the same as underpitching. Use one of the yeast calculators, like the one at www.mrmalty.com to get an idea how much slurry (or how big a starter if starting from liquid yeast) you actually need.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:24:27 am »
I would say it's definitely not ruined, at least not from over pitching.  It will almost certainly taste different and maybe not quite what you were looking for. 

On the upside, now you have the opportunity to compare the two batches side-by-side and see the impact of pitching rate on flavor.  I've never done a side-by-side with different pitching rates, but it now seems intriguing.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 11:30:00 am »
I will report back and let you all know what the taste test results are. I am still learning and trying to keep things as simple as possible. That's partially why I like the BIAB process so much simple.   
Jimmykx250