Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru Gear - New Kettle/ Conical Manufacturer  (Read 10747 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bru Gear - New Kettle/ Conical Manufacturer
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »
My typical pre-boil for 10 gallons would be about 13.2 for 13.7 based on 1 or two fermentors. Guess 20 is the magic number.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 06:31:58 pm »
I think the argument is that 15 is too big for 5 gallon batches due to boil evap rates due to column height vs surface area. Luckily I have a new 7.9 gallon fermenter coming soon so I don't have to stick to 5 gallons and I can also do close to 10 gallon batches and split to experiment with yeast or dry hop variations. I'm sure I will enjoy learning what this BK can do for me

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 06:35:07 pm »
I bought this 15 gallon because my 7.5 gallon causes a lot of headaches for 5 gallon AG batches and I did not want to buy a 10 gallon now only to realize later that I really need a 15. This kettle will do everything I need it to, and if it's not efficient enough due to boil off rate, I can easily add some water somewhere in the process to get the results I want, so I will love it

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 07:38:12 pm »
Got my 10 gallon Bru Gear kettle delivered a couple of days ago.  Haven't brewed on it yet, but the construction looks very solid and I really like the gallon measurements etched inside the kettle.  Excited to try this out very soon.  I normally do 3 gallon batches, so I'll be doing more 5 gal batches and split 3 gallon batches to experiment with yeast.  I've been soooooo busy the past yr and things are finally calming down, so I'm looking forward to brewing much more often...and being back on the forums!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 07:56:54 am »
I got my 10 gallon induction kettle from them yesterday.  It's very solid.  I like that they sent the NPT fittings with it so I can still use my cam lock fittings... but always have the option of tri-clamp later (currently I only use tri-clamp on my stainless conical).

I have a low power 1800W induction cooktop... sadly It took somewhere a little over 2 hours to get 8 gallons of 62F water to boil in it with the lid on.  This is better than other brew kettles I have tried on it... I have some insulation coming to try and reduce the time needed... It may just be used as a normal kettle though since I have no 220V power in my condo :-/
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2014, 09:22:13 am »
I have a low power 1800W induction cooktop... sadly It took somewhere a little over 2 hours to get 8 gallons of 62F water to boil in it with the lid on.  This is better than other brew kettles I have tried on it... I have some insulation coming to try and reduce the time needed... It may just be used as a normal kettle though since I have no 220V power in my condo :-/

I have learned that kettle design and quality makes a huge difference when using an induction range.  I can bring 5-gallons of run-off to a boil with the lid off when using my American-made 24-quart Vollrath Tri-Ply 77620.  I have to cover and insulate the kettle that I made from a Chinese-made 27-quart Vollrath Optio stockpot to get it to boil 4.5 gallons of run-off.  Both kettles are classified as being induction in ready.

Sadly, eight gallons is too much to boil with any kind of speed with an induction range on a 120V/15A circuit.  However, the circuit that feeds counter-high receptacles in most American kitchens is usually 20A. If you have access to your breaker box, I would check the rating on the kitchen circuit breaker (the circuits should be named in the box).  if it's 20A, you can install a 2200W 120V/20A Blichmann BoilCoil, which will be almost 100% efficient.

I posted this math on another thread, but I will re-post it here with your numbers:

1 calorie = amount of energy required to raise a gram one degree Celsius
1 milliliter of water = 1 gram

1 Watt = 0.2388 calories per second
2200 Watts  = 2200 x 0.2388 = ~525 calories per second

1 gallon of water =  3785 milliliters

Time to raise one gallon of water one degree Celsius = 3785 / 525 = 7.2 seconds
Time to raise eleven gallons of water one degree Celsius =  8 x 7.2 = 57.6 seconds

Tap liquor temp = 20C (68F)
Boiling temperature at sea level = 100C (212F)
Temp delta = 100 - 20 = 80C

Time to raise 8 gallons of liquor 80 degrees C = 80 x 57.6 / 60 = 76.8 minutes

Strike liquor volume = 4 gallons
Tap liquor temp = 20C (68F)
Strike liquor temp = 77C (171F)
Strike liquor Temp delta = 77 - 20 = 57C

Time to raise 4 gallons of liquor 57 degrees C =  57 x 7.2 x 4 / 60 = 27.3 minutes

Sparge liquor volume = 5 gallons
Sparge liquor temp = 77C (171F)
Sparge liquor Temp delta = 77 - 20 = 57C

Time to raise 5 gallons of liquor 57 degrees C =  57 x 7.2 x 5 / 60 = 34.2 minutes

Run-off voume
Run-off temp = 66C (151F)
Boil temp = 100C (212F)
Temp delta = 100 - 66 = 34C

Time to raise 8 gallons of run-off 34 degrees C =  34 x 7.2 x 8 / 60 = 32.64 minutes

If you continuous sparge, heating and collecting the run-off can be performed in parallel as soon that the run-off column height exceeds that of the BoilCoil.

One last thing: If you have an electric range, then you have a 240V circuit in your kitchen.  Not only is this circuit 240V, it is usually capable of carrying 50A of current, which is more than enough to handle 8-gallons of run-off.   A 4400W heating element will cut the times listed above in half.