Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fall/winter beer styles  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
fall/winter beer styles
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:26:17 am »
Looking for some ideas for fall/winter beer styles. I have an Oktoberfest on tap and a harvest porter in the fermenter. I would like to dedicate 2 of my 4 taps to maltier and/or darker beers this fall/winter but am having a hard time deciding. The other 2 taps will either be light and/or hoppy styles that I normally brew. Any ideas in addition to what I have below?

brown
oatmeal stout
black wheat (2nd attempt - don't ask)
black lager (schwarzbier)
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: fall/winter beer styles
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:38:59 am »
Always good:

Dubbel
Quad
Bock (standard, dopple)
Wee Heavy
Old Ale
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:10:12 am »
I would want a nice winter warmer as well. something higher gravity but not over the top. just a nice sipper
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:17:29 am »
I plan on brewing this dark, spiced "winter saison" in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-saisonn-dhiver/

American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 10:45:58 am »
a dark Belgian or winter warmer does sound good

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:28:59 am »
Baltic Porter is good and you can have it ready in 3-4 months.  Or a dopplebock - but that might take a bit longer to hit its stride....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:30:25 am »
Baltic Porter is good and you can have it ready in 3-4 months.  Or a dopplebock - but that might take a bit longer to hit its stride....

Baltic Porter sounds great. That traditionally uses a lager yeast correct? I could build up some yeast from my planned black lager for that...

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:39:37 am »
Yes. Lager yeast. I oaked it when I brewed one years ago.

Hoosiers list looks like a nice brewing schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 12:14:32 pm »
To add a few:
Dunkel
Dunkelweizen
Brown porter
Mild
Goat Scrotum ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 01:13:55 pm »
Soon I will make a dark Belgian that I made last year with homemade shagbark hickory syrup. Earthy and  warming. Also a Braggot. That will be for January and February for sipping in front of the fire while reading. I've never done a winter warmer but 20 years ago my favorite beer for awhile was Samuel Smith's winter warmer. I'd like something like that for December.
Of course if winter is like last year I'll need to come up with winter beers for March and April. Screw it, if winter is like last year I'll just chug vodka... :'(
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 02:00:17 pm »
Soon I will make a dark Belgian that I made last year with homemade shagbark hickory syrup. Earthy and  warming. Also a Braggot. That will be for January and February for sipping in front of the fire while reading. I've never done a winter warmer but 20 years ago my favorite beer for awhile was Samuel Smith's winter warmer. I'd like something like that for December.
Of course if winter is like last year I'll need to come up with winter beers for March and April. Screw it, if winter is like last year I'll just chug vodka... :'(
A friend made a beer with shagbark hickory syrup last year. It was very astringent. I believe it's made by boiling the bark and then adding sugar to the bark water make syrup. Seems like it pulls tannin out of the bark that isn't obvious in the syrup but reared it's head when the sugar was fermented.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 02:27:23 pm »
A friend made a beer with shagbark hickory syrup last year. It was very astringent. I believe it's made by boiling the bark and then adding sugar to the bark water make syrup. Seems like it pulls tannin out of the bark that isn't obvious in the syrup but reared it's head when the sugar was fermented.
I wonder how much he used. I believe I used it to replace a portion of the dark candi syrup. I did get tannins, which I wanted at a moderate level, but not to the point of tasting astringent. Tannins can be nice in a big beer, providing balance.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 02:38:30 pm »
I wonder how much he used. I believe I used it to replace a portion of the dark candi syrup. I did get tannins, which I wanted at a moderate level, but not to the point of tasting astringent. Tannins can be nice in a big beer, providing balance.
He used a quart of this: http://razzs.myshopify.com/ in 5 gallons.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 03:22:58 pm »
I plan on brewing this dark, spiced "winter saison" in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-saisonn-dhiver/

Go for it! I've brewed that one, and it is great.

I really like ESB, porter, and an IPA with fresh hops from the recent harvest. I also like to brew beers the previous winter/spring with autumn in mind such as braggot, burton ale, quad, and barley wine.
Kyle M.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »
I love a black ipa for the transitional seasons.... And a good breakfast style stout.
Frank