Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thermal mass for 10 Gallon Rubbermaid using Promash  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Thermal mass for 10 Gallon Rubbermaid using Promash
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:56:44 am »
Im doing an all grain demo this weekend using the above mentioned cooler. normally i use direct heat (RIMS), but someone is loaning me a cooler to use. since i dont have access to much water i cant really preheat the cooler. does anyone know what thermal mass setting i should use using Promash? Thanks
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Thermal mass for 10 Gallon Rubbermaid using Promash
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:54 am »
If you're able to do a test, here's the method.... Set the Grains to .01 (virtually eliminating from equation)
then take a know amount of water at a known temp and dump in brew pot. Then adjust the desired strike temp to what you read now, then adjust the thermal mass until you the initial strike water temp matches your original temp.

If not, use .3
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:53:44 am »
I have a rubber maid 10G cooler as mash tun. I gave up on the thermal mass. I add 23F to my mash temp heat striker water to that temp. I usually end up 1F above my mash temp after a good stir. In then stir the mash until the temp drops that final degree (often I skip the last step as 1 degree is close enough). 

My batches are 10-15 lbs of grain. Usually my grain and mash tun are about 78F (room temp in my house) before starting.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 10:01:46 am »
Thanks Denny,
I saw that in another post somewhere. If i have time between now and Saturday I'll give it a shot.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving