Author Topic: Tri-Clamps  (Read 8875 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Tri-Clamps
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 11:04:36 am »
It doesn't need to be sanitary, right? I'd probably just hammer a drilled silicone stopper into it, and shove some tubing in.
That may be the best option, maybe a vinyl elbow joint out of the stopper and tubing down close to the bottom, same way I rigged up my bottling bucket.
Thanks everyone,
dkfick and Alewyfe, let me know if you have any other ideas once you try to put yours to use and I will do the same
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 11:05:11 am »
It doesn't need to be sanitary, right? I'd probably just hammer a drilled silicone stopper into it, and shove some tubing in.

Pretty simple. I was thinking using a coupler with nearly the right outside diameter paired with an o-ring or two.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 11:08:16 am »

Pretty simple. I was thinking using a coupler with nearly the right outside diameter paired with an o-ring or two.
Yes, the main issue I guess is that this is my boil kettle, so the stopper and tubing may not need to be sanitary, but they must hold up to and stay in place during heat up and boil, for a total of 90-120 minutes at temps above 150F, and preferably still not leak
EDIT to add: I also just shot an email off to Phil Spivey for his thoughts on the issue. I know when I kicked in, I was not expecting TC fittings, the adaptor is nice, but if I wind up leaving 2 gallons or more in my kettle, this was not a good solution for me and my brewing
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:23:08 am by 69franx »
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 11:42:19 am »
I agree... I was expecting NPT fittings as there was a survey sent out about which you would prefer... I use all cam-lock fittings on my hot side.  I too am worried that a stopper would come out during the boil... It would be pretty crappy if it happened that's for sure... lol

I think the only reliable solution so far for me would be a racking arm (as it clamps on the outside but reaches inside with a hook (they have 90 degree ones as well... would prob need to cut it to the right length)... but they are pretty expensive for a dip tube lol.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 11:47:43 am »
Yes, here's hoping that Phil has a better(and cheaper solution) for his early adopters who got what he chose to make to simplify production. When the survey came out, I really was not aware of what the TC fittings would bring, as not having ever used them and I did ask for info on the survey but got none. I love the kettle, but now have my concerns. As I stated above, with the 15 gallon, the kettle is marked at 5 gallons and up, plus one mark at 1 gallon. The valve opening is at least 2x as high as that 1 gallon mark and likely more. This kettle filled with wort will likely be way to heavy to tilt enough to get that last 2 gallons out without a brewing assistant. In the end, I may have to resort to ordering his mash false bottom and using this for that instead of as a BK. I really hope not
Frank L.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 11:48:09 am »
I dug around trying to find something similar to this with a thread fitting on the inside and the right diameter. No luck

How does he expect people to use it with a false bottom?

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:20:51 pm by dkfick »
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 06:02:43 pm »
Heard back from Phil. They will be working on a dip tube solution after all kettles have shipped. They knew it would be a necessity but put it in the back burner to take care if other production issues. Got my fingers crossed!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 06:11:15 pm »
I hope they make it right for you guys. They need to.
Jon H.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 08:22:14 pm »
Hope this helps, but I was at my LHBS today trying to figure out the dip tube solution and what may work is similar to what the SS Brewing "Chronical 7 gal Fermenter" has as the rotatable racking arm.  The tube basically fits through the ferule, though the tri-clamp fitting, fits tightly into the valve and uses a couple of o-rings.  Not the best description, but the best I can remember.  I can't seem to find any pictures of this setup online. 

I decided to go w/ out the pickup tube for now since I use a immersion chiller and can just lift the pot and pour in what's left in the kettle (which should be mostly trub anyways) into the fermenter. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline 69franx

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 08:33:59 pm »
Yeah, now that I'm home, there is not nearly as much space below the valve opening. The bottom marking is 1/2 gallon not 1 gallon. The hole is less than twice that marking, at least by eyeballing it. A pickup tube will still be nice if he makes it affordable or free for the supporters who need it want it

Frank L.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »
Well I'm sure the dip tube will not be free... I'm thinking I'll likely go with the Brewer's Hardware one.  I've worked with them before and I'm sure that if the specs on it don't fit what I want exactly he'll customize it for me.

EDIT:  I submitted a question to them asking for the specs on the dip tube they offer.  If it doesn't jet into the kettle too far I'll prob pick it up for the $25.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:17:36 pm by dkfick »
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 01:33:17 pm »
Ok so u heard back from Brewers Hardware on their $25 dip tube.  They said it SAS 3 inches long and then dipped 2.5 inches.  I measured it out on my 10g Bru Gear kettle and this is roughly where it would end up. 

Edit: Here is what I was told:
Our Tc10pickup tube extends 3” and then drops ~2.5” down to pick up from the bottom of the kettle. It will stay relatively close to the kettle wall because it requires a TC ferrule welded onto the kettle, and they usually extend about 1-1.25” off the kettle.
Please note that this pickup tube requires a 1.5” TC ferrule with a 1 3/8” ID to be welded onto the kettle to mount into.
Thanks,
Curtis
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:43:28 pm by dkfick »
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 02:04:20 pm »
So you think this can be inserted through your TC ferrule into the kettle, but clamped on outside of kettle?

Frank L.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 02:55:18 pm »
So you think this can be inserted through your TC ferrule into the kettle, but clamped on outside of kettle?

Yes that's what it's made for.  Basically you clamp it to the ferrule on the kettle.  It then has a short extention beyond that that you would clamp your valve onto.  In the picture below you can see the 2 large rings.  Those are the rings that your tri-clamp fittings would attach to.  The kettle wall would be to the right of that 2nd ring.

http://www.brewershardware.com/1-Tri-Clover-Tri-Clamp-Style-Pickup-Tube.html
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"