Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are the best hops and malt brands (dme or lme) for an i.p.a  (Read 3660 times)

Offline therealdjbiglex

• 1st Kit
    • Lex World Online
What are the best hops and malt brands (dme or lme) for an i.p.a
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:29:01 pm »
Hey everyone, i need help in building an ipa from scratch as far as hops and malt build, thanks :)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: What are the best hops and malt brands (dme or lme) for an i.p.a
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:43:13 pm »
What kind of IPA do you like? east coast super bitter/malty? west coast super dry and late hoppy?

Extract is easy get the pale, golden light, or other very light colored extract. I prefer DME for no particular reason.

keep it simple at first and stick to light DME for malt and have fun with the hops.

You can save money (A bit) by getting some high alpha bittering hops for the 60 minute addition and get spendy with your late hops.

My favorite hop schedule is First Wort, whirlpool, and dry.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:03:21 pm »
+1.  I always liked DME better - it has longer shelf life and often paler color. I find Briess DMEs to be the best, both in flavor and fermentability (~ 80%) -  I would use ~ 7 - 7.5 lbs of Briess Pilsen DME here for a 5 gallon batch. I know you mention using extracts, but you'll make a much better IPA by steeping 8 oz of crystal/caramel malt 40L in a couple quarts of 160F water for 30 minutes, then straining the liquid into your brewpot, to add along with the extract. It's very easy !

I would bitter your beer with an oz of Columbus hops for a 60 minute boil. There are many,many good choices for flavor and aroma hops - Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe are great choices, among many others. I would do some reading on the various types of hop flavors and aromas found in today's hops, decide what you like or want, and we can help you figure out a hop schedule. Good luck !
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:05:44 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »
I'll second breiss dme. Highly ferment able and very light in color.

I've moved up to their golden promise from pils to see if I can get more body. Pils is almost too ferment able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 10:07:33 pm »
Here's a really easy starter IPA recipe:

For 5 gallons:

7.5lb Extra Light DME (I like Muntons)
0.5 lb Crystal 40

1 oz Columbus at 60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe at 10 minutes
1 oz Amarillo at 5 minutes
1 oz Citra at flameout
1 packet of US-05 yeast, ferment in the low 60's

Dry hop with an ounce each of Citra and Amarillo for 5 days after the krausen has fallen

That's a basic entry-level IPA. If you want to get more advanced, then keep the ounce of Columbus at 60 and save all the other boil hops for a hop stand. After the boil, wait until your wort gets to about 170F, then add in the Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra (you can go up to 2 ounces of each of you want to maximize the hop flavor). Give it a good stir until all the hops are mixed in. then let it sit at that temp for 30 minutes before chilling. If you do 2 oz of each hop in the hop stand, you can also use 2 ounces of each in the dry hop as well.

Good luck!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline therealdjbiglex

• 1st Kit
    • Lex World Online
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:11 am »
Thanks guys you are all awesome, will follow the directions given  :)