Author Topic: American Pilsner with O.G. of 1.090?  (Read 3777 times)

Offline santoch

• Brewmaster
  • North Bend, WA
    • WAHA
Re: American Pilsner with O.G. of 1.090?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 08:08:06 pm »
Just wanted to add that a very common newbie mistake is taking the reading after topping up but without stirring it in very well.  You need a good, well-mixed, uniform mixture to get an accurate reading.  Otherwise, you don't really know whether you snagged the sample wort from the heavy, sugary part or from the dilute part.  Mix it in well, and you'll be good to go.

HTH-
Mt. Si Brewing Society
Washington Homebrewer's Association (WAHA)
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 06:35:22 am »
Used the right amount of water. 2.5 gallons to boil wort, then after I cooled it to pitching temp, I used the hydrometer to get a reading. Then, I added it to the carboy and filled with bottled water to the 5 gallon mark.  Would it be off because I took the measurement before adding the water?

How much water did you have to add to get to 5 gallons?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 06:48:19 am »
The other error that sometimes gets even experienced homebrewers is not having enough wort in the cylinder so that the hydrometer is actually sitting on the bottom and not floating. That will cause very high readings.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 07:07:01 am »
Just wanted to add that a very common newbie mistake is taking the reading after topping up but without stirring it in very well.  You need a good, well-mixed, uniform mixture to get an accurate reading.  Otherwise, you don't really know whether you snagged the sample wort from the heavy, sugary part or from the dilute part.  Mix it in well, and you'll be good to go.

HTH-

+1 Yep.  Did it myself on my second batch, and since it was extract, I was very confused about what I had done wrong.  Since there was a lot of trub in the sample jar, I thought that might have something to do with it, so I stirred the crap out of it and sampled again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 09:28:23 am »

HTH-

And I'll add that it's VERY difficult to get it mixed well enough to get an accurate reading.  It's usually much more accurate to either calculate it, or make sure you get the correct volume in your fermenter and trust what the kit or recipe tells you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 12:08:19 pm »
And I'll add that it's VERY difficult to get it mixed well enough to get an accurate reading.  It's usually much more accurate to either calculate it, or make sure you get the correct volume in your fermenter and trust what the kit or recipe tells you.

I'm not sure I agree that it's VERY difficult.  I'm getting what I believe to be accurate readings (hitting where I expect to be with consistent efficiency) when topping up.  I do have a consistent and pretty thorough process of mixing before taking a reading, which includes swirling the carboy and stirring with my wine thief, but I don't see that as difficult.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 01:09:12 pm »
I'm not sure I agree that it's VERY difficult.  I'm getting what I believe to be accurate readings (hitting where I expect to be with consistent efficiency) when topping up.  I do have a consistent and pretty thorough process of mixing before taking a reading, which includes swirling the carboy and stirring with my wine thief, but I don't see that as difficult.

You're better at it than I am, then!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 01:10:24 pm »
Only on account of repetition, if at all.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 12:11:10 pm »
If that wine thief is glass - watch out stirring with it!  I'm sure it's plastic - just don't want someone to do the same with a glass one...you would hate to lose a batch to broken glass.

Anymore I take a few readings with a refractometer, until I get pretty consistent readings. Then I figure that I am close enough.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 03:14:14 pm »
If that wine thief is glass - watch out stirring with it!  I'm sure it's plastic - just don't want someone to do the same with a glass one...you would hate to lose a batch to broken glass.

It's plastic.  I'm nearly an all plastic brewery at this point.  Maybe I can get plastic flasks for my starters...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 10:31:57 am »

It's plastic.  I'm nearly an all plastic brewery at this point.  Maybe I can get plastic flasks for my starters...

Or a plastic boil kettle!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 11:21:51 am »
They exist

http://www.brupaks.com/boilers%20mashtuns.htm

Ok, only in the UK since they have standard 220.