Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Internet != free pass to be a jerk  (Read 4397 times)

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
Re: Internet != free pass to be a jerk
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 06:39:23 am »
+1 from another newbie love this forum have tried others as well no bs here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 09:39:57 am »
I saw that a regular contributor here was recently attacked rather intensely and persistently by a jerk on another forum for not liking Briess malts.

I am glad that type behavior is rare here.

AHA - A Forum for Ladies and Gentlemen

So am I!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 10:04:07 am »
Not only is this place incredibly civil but it's also nice not to have new threads posted so fast that a good discussion gets lost.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 10:35:25 am »
I kind of like being a butthead and engaging in what you all may call trolling, but I prefer to call it homebrewing smack talk. What amazes me is that people get upset about a post on the internet.  It's the internet, fer chrissakes....it's not like they are telling it to your face.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 10:56:17 am »
I kind of like being a butthead and engaging in what you all may call trolling, but I prefer to call it homebrewing smack talk. What amazes me is that people get upset about a post on the internet.  It's the internet, fer chrissakes....it's not like they are telling it to your face.

In a way, they are saying it to your face.  That said, if you weren't a troll ;), life wouldn't be as much fun!  I guess I've known you long enough to know when you're serious and when you're not.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 04:54:21 pm »
Well, thanks Denny. I guess what I am trying to say is I don't take it personally, so I am always surprised when others take it personally.

Even when I was in my trolling hay day, about 6-8 years ago when on the B&V I trolled Dan Listermann mercilessly about extinct Russian oak, brewing with pigeon feed, and loading dock fans, I never had any animosity towards Dan.  In fact, I learned a couple of great tips from Dan (like Munton's Gold yeast!) and I generally like the guy.  I don't think Dan cared eiter, he could dish it out as well as the next guy.  In fact, Dan and I and a third party wheeled and dealed a three way trade that left all of us better off than we were.  Yet, I used to get personal hate mail from people who weren't involved.  I just don't get it. I think its because I am of sarcastic Scandinavian descent.

In real life, I am a consultant who supports the federal government in technical matters in ongoing consent decree negotiations with a multi-national corporation and other third parties.  It amazes me how some people will take negotiations personally, and start to engage in personal attacks and the like. Maybe it's my background as a professional engineer, where it is a job to be an advocate, but these issues are not my life, that gives me a different perspective on the seriousness of trolling.

P.S.  I usually write better than this, but I am drinking my second dubbel.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 05:22:10 pm »
Well, thanks Denny. I guess what I am trying to say is I don't take it personally, so I am always surprised when others take it personally.

Even when I was in my trolling hay day, about 6-8 years ago when on the B&V I trolled Dan Listermann mercilessly about extinct Russian oak, brewing with pigeon feed, and loading dock fans, I never had any animosity towards Dan.  In fact, I learned a couple of great tips from Dan (like Munton's Gold yeast!) and I generally like the guy.  I don't think Dan cared eiter, he could dish it out as well as the next guy.  In fact, Dan and I and a third party wheeled and dealed a three way trade that left all of us better off than we were.  Yet, I used to get personal hate mail from people who weren't involved.  I just don't get it. I think its because I am of sarcastic Scandinavian descent.

In real life, I am a consultant who supports the federal government in technical matters in ongoing consent decree negotiations with a multi-national corporation and other third parties.  It amazes me how some people will take negotiations personally, and start to engage in personal attacks and the like. Maybe it's my background as a professional engineer, where it is a job to be an advocate, but these issues are not my life, that gives me a different perspective on the seriousness of trolling.

P.S.  I usually write better than this, but I am drinking my second dubbel.

The difference is that you don't make personal attacks and the humor in your trolling is usually evident.  In the original thread mentioned here, it wasn't good natured trolling.  It was dorect personal attacks.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »
I agree with Denny.

Good natured ribbing and strong opinions are OK. Personal attacks that go on and on are not OK.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 08:08:42 pm »
I agree with Denny.

Good natured ribbing and strong opinions are OK. Personal attacks that go on and on are not OK.

+1
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 08:18:25 pm »
+2
Also, I have seen people on this site who have slipped up behave like adults when called out on something. Very cool IMO. We can all say the wrong thing now and then, especially online.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 10:58:04 pm »
The internet is not a free pass to be a dick, but it happens, so get over it. Ignore and move on. Weed out the bullsh*t. There is A LOT of it out there.
Jesse

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 11:21:24 pm »
I agree with Denny.

Speaking of good natured ribbing...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 06:21:47 am »
I agree with Denny.

Speaking of good natured ribbing...
For her pleasure?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 06:24:00 am »
I have to watch my postings after a couple dubbels...that's when my language can get a bit more salty. 

I like the fact that this forum seems to be posted by folks who are pretty thoughtful with more brewing insight than ego.  And yes, I have been convinced more than once that I should re-think my approach on something.  That has often improved my beers and made me try something different than what conventional wisdom (read: the way it's always done) would dictate.  Learn, calibrate, then re-calibrate with changes.

By far my favorite hobby.  Yesterday I had a British woman tell me that my Mild was "spot on".  I needed no greater compliment.  It was the Cigar City "El Lector" from the book "Craft Beer for the Homebrewer".  I would not have known about that book, let alone bought it, but for this forum.  Thanks, Denny!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 07:02:51 am »
Do you ever drive by an accident and slow down to take a closer look? That's sort of what I was doing when I started this thread. The thread turned into yet another AHA forum love fest (YAAFLF) and Internet ethics discussion (IED). A few of you chafe at that a bit. I get it. My bad.

And now we have Jim making condom jokes. This thread has gone though it's normal life cycle. 

Do I have a motion to close the conversation?