Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Grain Inventory?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Your Grain Inventory?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 08:51:58 am »

I went to a local homebrew shop a while ago asking if he had lactic acid in stock.  He said he didn't carry it because no one uses it anymore and just uses 5.2  ::)

I haven't been back there since and got my lactic acid at a different (and better) shop.

good call.

The are those that have pH meters and those that use 5.2.
I've found that a good working knowledge of Brun'water is just as good as having a pH meter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 09:00:19 am »
Sure is true. I have found that now and then I need to make small adjustments, per the pH meter. Martin posted about Rahr 2 row being more acidic, so it is entered with a 4L for color, which has brought that in close.

As an old engineer I trust computer program results if all input data are accurate. The results should be validated with measurements, I.e. the experience with Rahr.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 09:05:10 am »

Sure is true. I have found that now and then I need to make small adjustments, per the pH meter. Martin posted about Rahr 2 row being more acidic, so it is entered with a 4L for color, which has brought that in close.

As an old engineer I trust computer program results if all input data are accurate. The results should be validated with measurements, I.e. the experience with Rahr.
You should stick to Briess.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 09:09:02 am »

You should stick to Briess.

Good one! Looked around the webz and found that. :o

I am using Rahr because it is about $10 a bag less. I am also frugal.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:12:26 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 09:11:30 am »
I can get rahr a hair cheaper here too. I used to get great western for 30-35 a sack, here it's 50

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 11:32:59 am »
Currently have half a sack of two row left, need to pick up a sack of MO as well. 20 lb each of GP, wheat and pilsner. About fifteen various specialty grains in 2-4 lb increments, I pick up a few every time I go to the LHBS. Everything but the two row is vacuum sealed and resealed after each use, so thinking they should keep for quite a while without degrading.
I'm only here for the beer....