Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about reusing yeast  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Question about reusing yeast
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:28:52 am »
Hi all. I about 2.25 gallon batches in 3 gallon carboys. I almost always have to use a blow off so I lose a lot of yeast there. I can typically recover about 30-50mls of yeast from my primary so it's enough to use for my next batch with a healthy starter. My concern is am I losing my healthiest yeast to the blow off or is the yeast left in primary just as healthy?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Question about reusing yeast
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:33:54 am »
You could build a burton union type contraption.

Basically, a burton union is a series of barrels that are connected feeding each other yeast.

https://byo.com/stories/item/351-build-a-burton-union-system-projects

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:44:01 am »
That looks like a cool idea. Should be easy to put together.
Corripe Cervisiam

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:38:38 am »
Is there a reason why you cannot use 5-gallon carboys or better bottles?  My primary volume is about one gallon larger than your primary volume. I use 5-gallon better bottles and carboys along with 5-gallon and 6.5-gallon buckets (I use 3-gallon better bottles as secondary storage tanks when keg space is not available).   A bucket is better if you want to crop from the top, but you have to use a true top-cropper to make the best of the technique.  What strains do you use?

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:32:22 am »
Is there a reason why you cannot use 5-gallon carboys or better bottles?  My primary volume is about one gallon larger than your primary volume. I use 5-gallon better bottles and carboys along with 5-gallon and 6.5-gallon buckets (I use 3-gallon better bottles as secondary storage tanks when keg space is not available).   A bucket is better if you want to crop from the top, but you have to use a true top-cropper to make the best of the technique.  What strains do you use?
I am seriously considering the 5 gallon better bottle. It would be only half full for primary but I think you are right, that wont be a problem for primary. I am also curious about the other option in building a Burton union type blow off. I don't have any issues with attenuation so I really wouldn't need to recirculate the yeast to the primary. I wonder if you could do just one inlet hose in the blow off container and put an airlock in the lid. Fill it with sanitized water.  Do you think the yeast it would retain from the blowoff would require rinsing later or would it be pretty much all yeast?
Corripe Cervisiam