Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spiced Ale w/ Bubblegum ingredients  (Read 2230 times)

Malty

Spiced Ale w/ Bubblegum ingredients
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:00:10 pm »
OG - ~1.086
FG - ~1.017
IBU - ~30
ABV - ~8.5

16 lbs Maris Otter
1 oz Wintergreen Leaves
1 stick of Cinnamon
2 vanilla beans
30 AA of East Kent Goldings ~(1.25oz - 1.5oz) 60 mins.
2 pkts. US-05 yeast

Mash malt @ 155F for 60 min.
Batch sparge @ 168F.

Ferment 65F for 1 week, raise to at least 70F.

Make a tea from the wintergreen by pouring 2 cups of boiling water over the leaves.  Stir and wet leaves thoroughly.  Let sit for one week, stirring daily to prevent mold from forming.  The wintergreen will ferment leaving a minty smelling tea. (Directions put together from various sources around the internet.)

After fermentation is complete, add tea to the resulting beer with 2 vanilla beans (slit and split) and 1 cinnamon stick for 1 week.

Rack off yeast after 4 weeks, cold crash and keg.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently in the cold crash stage but looking forward to finishing, aging and trying this beer.

Wintergreen, vanilla and cinnamon are ingredients in bubblegum.  Don't want this beer to taste like bubblegum, but also want to use the bubblegum ingredients for spices.  The goal would be to have a slight warming effect and sweeter finish to the beer.  The hardest part is balancing the cinnamon and vanilla to get that slightly sweet finish.

A "sweet" bourbon may blend well with this also.

Any constructive comments/suggestions to this work in progress are welcome.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:19:53 am by Malty »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Spiced Ale w/ Bubblegum ingredients
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:53 pm »
Too late now, but if I were going for bubblegum, I'd probably use the Chimay yeast fermented on the warm side.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:03:30 am »
Those are the right spices for bubblegum but you need the fruit flavors to balance the spices if you really want it to taste like bubblegum. I think of the spice component of bubblegum as less prominent than the fruit.

IMO the yeast that produces the most bubblegum-like flavor is 3068 fermented in the mid to upper 70s. Light clove note but a lot of banana and strawberry.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Malty

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:14:04 am »
Thanks guys, perhaps my original post wasn't very clear.

The goal is to make a nice spiced ale that *doesn't* actually taste like bubblegum while using the bubblegum ingredients.

Find out soon enough, but it might need more Wintergreen and perhaps some bourbon.

Malty

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:22:09 am »
but you need the fruit flavors to balance the spices if you really want it to taste like bubblegum. I think of the spice component of bubblegum as less prominent than the fruit.

Thanks for the advice, I had forgotten the fruit component.  Not planning to add fruit so that should help with avoiding bubblegum taste.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 08:58:07 am »
I've made root beer that had wintergreen in it but I used the berries as opposed to the leaves. They have a strong and nice wintergreen flavor. I must say that when I read bubblegum I didn't expect to be contributing under the logic of "if you don't have something nice to say..." but this sounds OK.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Malty

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:23:24 am »
I've made root beer that had wintergreen in it but I used the berries as opposed to the leaves. They have a strong and nice wintergreen flavor. I must say that when I read bubblegum I didn't expect to be contributing under the logic of "if you don't have something nice to say..." but this sounds OK.

Can you explain a bit on how you used the berries?  Did you purchase them or pick them?

I was only able to find Wintergreen Leaves at the LHBS and had a heck of time finding out how to use them properly.

I think the berries might give a stronger Wintergreen flavor.  As it stands I might need to use 2 oz. of leaves instead of one, but we'll see how this first revision tastes.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 02:40:10 pm »

Can you explain a bit on how you used the berries?  Did you purchase them or pick them?

I was only able to find Wintergreen Leaves at the LHBS and had a heck of time finding out how to use them properly.

I think the berries might give a stronger Wintergreen flavor.  As it stands I might need to use 2 oz. of leaves instead of one, but we'll see how this first revision tastes.
I picked them in the woods behind my house. I don't know where you live but in New England where I live I see they have berries now. The berries can be picked now until they get covered with snow. I believe I pulsed them in a food processor and put them in the boil. I don't have my notes with me but I would say I had about 2 cups in 5 gallons. Maybe less I'll try to remember to check when I can.

Malty

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 03:12:45 pm »
Thanks 'pete b'.

Just thinking to myself, I wonder if the berries are stronger than the leaves or vice versa.  I can't find the berries for sale and have none to pick where I live.  Have stayed away from Wintergreen Extract as most of it is synthetic (and labeled not safe for food use - as far as I have read.)

The reason I didn't boil the leaves is because the wintergreen oil is volatile and steeping seemed the best option.

Of course, I'm no expert, but just have to keep on learning.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:46:15 pm »
Thanks 'pete b'.

Just thinking to myself, I wonder if the berries are stronger than the leaves or vice versa.  I can't find the berries for sale and have none to pick where I live.  Have stayed away from Wintergreen Extract as most of it is synthetic (and labeled not safe for food use - as far as I have read.)

The reason I didn't boil the leaves is because the wintergreen oil is volatile and steeping seemed the best option.

Of course, I'm no expert, but just have to keep on learning.
It turns out that I only used one cup of berries in the boil and I remember it giving great flavor. I suspect that similar to hop additions you will extract more flavor in the boil but might get more aroma if you put some in at flameout or maybe even " dry berried" although because they are dense I suspect some time in the hot wort is necessary.

Malty

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »
6 weeks after brew day... sampled the kegged beer today.

An excellent beer with an uncanny balance.  Slight cinnamon/vanilla on the tongue, with a kiss of sweetness going down.

The wintergreen adds a "warmth" to the beer.  Very easy drinking even though it's 8%+...

When I brew this again, I'm going to add one less vanilla bean (though I've heard vanilla flavors fade over time) and one oz. wintergreen during the boil.