General Category > Zymurgy

Easing the physical process

(1/6) > >>

kgs:
Maybe this has been done, but what about an article (or articles) focused on homebrewing for people who are differently-abled, older, smaller, use wheelchairs, etc.?

As someone in the old-and-small category, I have found many good ideas on the Forum and on TechTalk for easing the brewing process--just today, I learned that some homebrewers siphon their wort from the brew pot into the fermenter, which helps solve a question I had about moving to full batches. That might seem obvious to many homebrewers but it wasn't to me, and it's the kind of technique that could make homebrewing more accessible and promote homebrewing to diverse demographics.

denny:
That's a really good idea.  I'll try to remember to bring it up with Gary or Jill.

beerrat:
Excellent topic idea!  I have some on and off back issues, but still want to make 5 gallon batches.  A brewhauler and ability to keep process located to a single floor of the house helped a lot.  I'd think a pump may be the next item to help. 

I've also gone thru chemo/radiation in the past month and found brewing help keep my mind on something positive.  Had to balance that with ensuring I did not get burns/injured when the blood counts dropped, so ended up making a mead and wine and getting help from family to move the heavy carboys.

denny:

--- Quote from: beerrat on April 24, 2010, 02:19:15 PM ---I've also gone thru chemo/radiation in the past month and found brewing help keep my mind on something positive.
--- End quote ---

Best wishes and good vibes, man.

chumley:
You can make 1-2 gallon batches on the stove in a stock pot using a spaghetti strainer.  I knew of a 70+ year old woman who would do just that.

And you can take a sample of that wort, put it in a jar, and know when your fermentation in your closed bucket is done, just by watching what is going on in the jar,

No need to thank me, I am just here to help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version