Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peach, Habanero Kölsch  (Read 4703 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Peach, Habanero Kölsch
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »
I also don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings (of course), but if your wife is planning on nursing your baby, then you may want to reconsider using habaneros in your recipe.  Spicy things can carry over into the milk given to the baby and can irritate their little bodies. 

This has happened even with something as benign as garlicky spaghetti sauce with our children when they were babies.  Just sayin....YMMV... :D 

On the flipside, I have brewed several beer styles with fresh/frozen peaches/puree and have always enjoyed them.  I have a 2 year old lambic with peaches that is dry as hell and still has a pretty big fruit nose and flavor to boot. 

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »
You probably don't need pectic enzyme anyway and adding it to secondary will useless because it is denatured by alcohol. If you want to use it, mix it with your thawed peach/juices. Wait a day and rack over that.

I'd also just drop the peppers in when it's done. Taste every day and bottle when you like it. Or even better transfer some to a growler and put peppers in there. Then you can try different blends.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 01:10:44 pm »
"I’ll tell you what to do so as not to spoil it by overdoing. Hold the beer in one hand, and show a pepper to it with the other; that done"   -Benjamin Franklin
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 01:53:51 pm »
"I’ll tell you what to do so as not to spoil it by overdoing. Hold the beer in one hand, and show a pepper to it with the other; that done"   -Benjamin Franklin

Priceless!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 01:57:58 pm »
Another great quote from Ben... ;D
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »
Well done Jimmy. That must be at least as accurate as "Beer is proof....".   ;D
Jon H.