Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: unfermentable porter  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
unfermentable porter
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:57:27 am »
So I brewed a harvest porter recently with baked sweet potatoes, acorn squash, and sweet nugget squash in the mash. I originally undershot my mash temp and added the baked ingredients almost directly out of the oven. I noticed the mash temp rise to my intended temp in a few minutes however I foolishly didn't pay attention as the mash progressed.

All fermentation activity seemed normal but it has stopped in the mid 1.020s. The OG was around 1.054 from what I remember. My fear is that the mash temp rose above 158 which has severely limited attenuation. I roused the yeast and warmed the beer without any effect. I decided to pitch a pack of US05 yesterday without any luck either.

Any other thoughts other than too high of a mash temp? I haven't decided if I will keg the batch or dump it yet. I am contemplating re-brewing it however that will really mess with my schedule...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: unfermentable porter
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 11:13:33 am »
have you performed a forced ferment test?

pull about a pint of beer and pitch a whole packet of us-05 and aerate the heck out of it. if that brings it down any you should be able to krausen the whole batch if you can get enough vigorous yeast cells in there (call the local brewery and beg a quart of slurry)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 11:16:00 am »
I have not tried that. Thanks for the idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:21:47 pm »
Came home tonight to a continuous film covering the top of the beer. Must have become infected?

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:20 pm »
What does the film look like? Could you post a picture?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 06:42:49 am »
So I brewed a harvest porter recently with baked sweet potatoes, acorn squash, and sweet nugget squash in the mash. I originally undershot my mash temp and added the baked ingredients almost directly out of the oven. I noticed the mash temp rise to my intended temp in a few minutes however I foolishly didn't pay attention as the mash progressed.

All fermentation activity seemed normal but it has stopped in the mid 1.020s. The OG was around 1.054 from what I remember. My fear is that the mash temp rose above 158 which has severely limited attenuation. I roused the yeast and warmed the beer without any effect. I decided to pitch a pack of US05 yesterday without any luck either.

Any other thoughts other than too high of a mash temp? I haven't decided if I will keg the batch or dump it yet. I am contemplating re-brewing it however that will really mess with my schedule...
Depending on how much of the veggies you used, maybe there wasn't enough diastatic power in the mash to convert everything fully?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 07:08:43 am »
Throw in a pack or two of rehydrated Belle Saison yeast.  That should improve attenuation considerably.

Too bad if it got contaminated.  You could drink it up real fast if you like, but it sounds like you don't want to do that.  Keep your fingers crossed.  Maybe it will still turn out.  The odds do seem against it though.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:10:30 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 08:40:20 am »
It's possible that it fermented as it was supposed to. You have to take into account the viability of the yeast and the overall OG. My second thought is that you might have added so much sugar from the extra ingredients, the yeast couldn't get past 1.02. My third thought is that your grains may not have had enough time at the correct mashing temperature to convert all the starches to sugar.

Cheers