Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch and hot/solventy off flavors  (Read 4572 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Kolsch and hot/solventy off flavors
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 09:44:25 am »
I don't see why it makes any difference at all.  But maybe he's right.  More experiments are needed.  My intuition tells me that it doesn't matter at all.

Although I don't use a pump, I've aerated both before and after pitching.  Didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmitchell3

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 11:47:38 am »
My understanding as to oxygenation is that oxygen in sufficient quantities can be toxic to yeast.  This said, too much oxygen in solution either before or after pitching will begin to have harmful rather than helpful effects.  As to timing of oxygenation, I've not heard anyone indicate negative effects from post-pitch oxygenation.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26:00 am »
It's best to have your wort fully aerated before pitching because the first thing yeast do is start scavenging o2. Probably doesn't matter if you do it immediately afterward, but I always do it prior. As far as pure o2 being toxic to yeast, it can be (I've killed a starter before) but not sure it can happen on larger volumes of wort/beer.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 09:00:52 pm »
It seems to be better for yeast to dive in ready for action - if you pitch and wait any substantial amount of time, you are stressing yeast that are looking for O2 uptake before starting to metabolize the wort (boiled wort is nearly oxygen free if boiled aggressively).  A momentary delay may be inconsequential, but why risk problems when it is just a few minutes to aerate properly?  Next time do a bigger batch of starter and pitch after aerating into wort that is below ferment temp and let it rise to fermentation temp and I am willing to bet that you will have a better result!  Good luck and don't give up the quest!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline drawdy10

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:42 pm »
What was your wort ph prior to yeast pitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jmitchell3

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 11:14:25 am »

I don't know. don't have a PH meter as I batch sparge and don't really mess with it. 

Haven't had any problems so far of this magnitude though.  I think the kolsch issue was that it needed to be treated more like a lager than an ale...longer in primary, and a nice lager period to help it condition prior to bottling. 

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 04:46:02 pm »

I don't know. don't have a PH meter as I batch sparge and don't really mess with it. 

Haven't had any problems so far of this magnitude though.  I think the kolsch issue was that it needed to be treated more like a lager than an ale...longer in primary, and a nice lager period to help it condition prior to bottling.

You don't really need to lager a kolsch longer than 10-14 days. Even a light lager shouldn't need much more than that. The key is to get the yeast to drop out. You do need to approximate closer to a lager pitch of yeast and, of course, you need to ferment on the cold side.

Was there still a lot of yeast in suspension when you tasted it? Are you sure you aren't mischaracterizing the off flavors?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 06:15:56 pm »

Was there still a lot of yeast in suspension when you tasted it? Are you sure you aren't mischaracterizing the off flavors?

+1
Jon H.