Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smuttynose/Stone Cluster's Last Stand  (Read 1498 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Smuttynose/Stone Cluster's Last Stand
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:02:18 pm »
This beer is a collaboration brew based on the Ballantine's IPA recipe in Mitch Steele's IPA book. This tastes nothing like the typical West Coast IPA, but it is fantastic. The nose is catty, with lots of black currant and some lavender floral notes. Flavor is resin, with some fruity currant notes and a bit of floral hops. The malt is on the light side, but some bready Munich notes provide the right balance. Bitterness is sharp and sticky, but fades nicely on the finish leaving you wanting another sip.

If this is anything like the new Ballantine IPA, I'm in. I definitely want to play with Bullion, Cluster and Brewer's Gold in the near future. This really stands out from other IPA's, but it all works really well.

If you have access to this, I highly recommend it. For my money, Smutty is possibly the best brewery in New England (now that Long Trail owns Otter Creek), and is right up there with Victory and DFH as far as top breweries in the Northeast go. All of their beers are killer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Smuttynose/Stone Cluster's Last Stand
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:38:27 am »
This beer is a collaboration brew based on the Ballantine's IPA recipe in Mitch Steele's IPA book. This tastes nothing like the typical West Coast IPA, but it is fantastic. The nose is catty, with lots of black currant and some lavender floral notes. Flavor is resin, with some fruity currant notes and a bit of floral hops. The malt is on the light side, but some bready Munich notes provide the right balance. Bitterness is sharp and sticky, but fades nicely on the finish leaving you wanting another sip.

If this is anything like the new Ballantine IPA, I'm in. I definitely want to play with Bullion, Cluster and Brewer's Gold in the near future. This really stands out from other IPA's, but it all works really well.

If you have access to this, I highly recommend it. For my money, Smutty is possibly the best brewery in New England (now that Long Trail owns Otter Creek), and is right up there with Victory and DFH as far as top breweries in the Northeast go. All of their beers are killer.

Was it brewed at Smuttynose? I would like to try that one.

Bullion, Cluster and Brewers Gold are used in the Ballantines IPA I have on tap. Those old school hops are underrated.

I have not tried the Pabst Ballantine IPA as it is just distributed in the east. I hope it has done well enough that they up production and distribute farther.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:37 am »
I'll be looking for it. Sounds great.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:48:15 pm »
Was it brewed at Smuttynose? I would like to try that one.

Yes it was. They brewed it last summer at Portsmouth Brewing Company, and it did well enough that they brewed it again at Smutty this year.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:11:05 pm »
I thought it was pretty tasty (and I was curious to try it, given the history), but I didn't think it was that interesting and probably wouldn't buy it again. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC