Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation problem, interesting problem.  (Read 1551 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Carbonation problem, interesting problem.
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:31:58 pm »
Ok, so I have encountered a new issue, something I don't think I've seen here either. 
I kegged my Scottish Wee Heavy 3 weeks ago, and it isn't carbonating. It's been sitting at 35 psi this whole time, and is barely carbed. I mean barely.  I have checked for leaks, none. I know the keg is holding proper pressure, tested it. I know gas is getting into the keg. I have put two other kegs on, and they carbed just fine. O-rings are all good. I've brewed this beer 3 times before, and it carbed no problem. Kinda scratching my head on this one. Any one else ever had a beer that just wouldn't carbonate?
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Carbonation problem, interesting problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:55:18 pm »
Yes...When I first started using gelatin to fine some of my beers I noticed an interesting phenomenon occasionally.  I would rack cold beer onto the gelatin in the keg, purge to seat the lid, and put it on 25-30psi to carbonate for a few days.  The beer would not carbonate even though gas was in the head space of the keg and could be relieved through the pressure relief valve.  This happened 3-4 times with different beers and different kegs.  I keep my kegs at 35F in a chest freezer.  I was assuming that a temperature inversion occurred and the gelatin rose to the top and formed a barrier that would not allow the gas to permeate the beer. 

I remedied the problem by shaking the keg with those 3-4 beers to carbonate them.  Unfortanutely, they were cloudy as balls after that and most were lagers.  Booooo....

Nowadays I have learned from my stupidity and simply shake/roll the keg on its side for 5 minutes at 20-25 psi when using gelatin.  Not only does it mix the gelatin nicely, but carbonates the beer as well.  I then put it back in my fridge for about a week before serving time.  After the first pint, the beers run crystal clear.  I have not had that issue since I started this procedure. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:03:47 pm »
I've had a few kegs not want to carb up when I overfilled them. I noticed when you fill up to or over the 'gas in' tube the keg is slow or even hesitant to carb up sometimes. The last time I poured a pint to drop the beer level in the keg below the tube and it carbed up fine. Just a thought.
Jon H.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:23:37 pm »

Yes...When I first started using gelatin to fine some of my beers I noticed an interesting phenomenon occasionally.  I would rack cold beer onto the gelatin in the keg, purge to seat the lid, and put it on 25-30psi to carbonate for a few days.  The beer would not carbonate even though gas was in the head space of the keg and could be relieved through the pressure relief valve.  This happened 3-4 times with different beers and different kegs.  I keep my kegs at 35F in a chest freezer.  I was assuming that a temperature inversion occurred and the gelatin rose to the top and formed a barrier that would not allow the gas to permeate the beer. 

I remedied the problem by shaking the keg with those 3-4 beers to carbonate them.  Unfortanutely, they were cloudy as balls after that and most were lagers.  Booooo....

Nowadays I have learned from my stupidity and simply shake/roll the keg on its side for 5 minutes at 20-25 psi when using gelatin.  Not only does it mix the gelatin nicely, but carbonates the beer as well.  I then put it back in my fridge for about a week before serving time.  After the first pint, the beers run crystal clear.  I have not had that issue since I started this procedure.

You should rack your cold beer to the keg and then add the gelatins on top if it. Then you do not have to agitate it. 
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:49:19 pm »
I usually add warm gelatin mixture onto cold, carbonated beer.  I picture the warm liquid settling on top of the cold beer and then as it attains the temperature of the beer, it falls to the bottom, taking the haze particles along with it.  This takes several hours and results in clear beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:06:07 pm »
I guess there must be some margin of error with gelatin. I rack cold beer on top of the gelatin to get good mixing, don't stir any further, and get nice clear beer a day or two later. I think getting the beer cold first is probably the common denominator here. My beers carb up fine doing this btw.
Jon H.