Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Desire a PNW stout. Will this work?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline lupy

• Cellarman
Desire a PNW stout. Will this work?
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:41:41 pm »
Amount    Item     Type    % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 53.33 %
4.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 26.67 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 % (toasted)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %

2.00 oz Feral (floral-suspect cluster) [4.00 %] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.6 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (70 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
1.50 oz Willamette [5.60 %] (70 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
1.00 oz Willamette [5.60 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU

At 68% eff., I am shooting for an OG of 1.065 and about 60 IBU.
My objective is a roasty, slightly burnt, bitter, dryish stout with a strong amerrican hop influence. I really like Deschutes Obsidian Stout and have brewed the clone (which made me happy) but I want to try something slightly different.
I am basically naive as to the contribution and influences of the combination of Chocolate malt, black patent malt and roasted barley, ie:  Is there enough of either to be noticeable(flavor)?,  Will one overpower the other? Plus a few more ?'s I can't dredge up right now.
The hop schedule is tenative also.
Thank you very much for any insight or suggestions.
$2 words for a 2ยข story

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Desire a PNW stout. Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:35:20 am »
To me, Rogue's Shakespeare is the ultimate PNW stout.  It uses all Cascade hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »
To me, Rogue's Shakespeare is the ultimate PNW stout.  It uses all Cascade hops.

I brewed Kris England's clone and it came out great.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40009

I don't think any of your roasted malts will overpower you with your malt bill. I'd up the roasted, though, if you're looking for that character.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:56:04 am »

I brewed Kris England's clone and it came out great.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40009

That on elooks great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »
I believe Deschute's bitters both their porter and stout with Galena. Either way, I think using EKG would be unnecessary and maybe even wasteful for bittering an PNW-style stout. I would personally use CTZ, Nugget, Galena... something aggressive and high-AA for bittering, then either Cascade/something citrusy or Willamette/something neutral at 10 min...

But really, I think there is a lot of variety between stouts here in the PNW. Some sweet, some dry, some big, some very big... Generally there is always roasted barley and always American hops... and the OG usually hovers around 1.060. Otherwise, one can be quite different from another. Shakespeare Stout and Obsidian Stout, for example (in my opinion the two most important PNW stouts) are pretty different beers.