Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg hopping frustration  (Read 4528 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Keg hopping frustration
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 02:01:01 pm »
I would follow Mort's advice about putting something over the diptube.  I've used a stainless braid and it's very effective at drawing clear beer and leaving sludge behind.

I've got some stainless tea infusers that I use, but for the price if I did it again I would probably buy the gizmo that Hoosier uses.  I don't find that too much sludge gets through the mesh of the tea infusers, but if you're concerned the stainless braid does a great job.  It's better to plan ahead and install it first, but I've also installed it in full-ish kegs.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:32 am »
Something else to consider is cutting the dip tube. Most tubes are touching or barley off the lowest point. I have a pinlock that I cut back 3/4" for sediment heavy situations and it leaves about a pint in the keg. pretty simple procedure that involves no purchases, extra cleaning, maintenance or rigging up and unrigging for the life of the keg. It does however come at the expense of a pint per keg though. If your gonna go that route don't forget to deburr and  then pasivate via air for a couple days or in starsan for a couple hours.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 11:40:46 am »
I think all is fine. You still need to get past the first few yeasty pints. Pellets do cause some more haze. All you are doing is dry hopping, just in the keg not the fermentor. If you don't have a clog then I wouldn't worry. You have to get the pick up tube above the bottom sediment, waiting won't help, you have to pour. You also can't move the keg around or it all stirs up. Also if you normally dry hop say 8 days then package and wait another week or two before trying the beer it will certainly have melded more than a sample barely a week old.

I have 4 of these, so I can have multiple kegs going.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home_brew/kegs/c711_hops_filter_screen.html
I have free floated many pounds of leaf and even pellets without a single clog or any keg cleaning issue. They work great, are cheap and easy. I still always dry hop in a fermentor as well, and keg hop to supplement or adjust or just go nuts. It is really easy to add hops midway through a keg as well.

I have a couple of these and they work great, I use pellet hops and just toss them in. First glass is murky, but by the third or fourth glass it's clear and I never get any floaties.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 03:57:00 pm »
I use the stainless tea balls with a fine mesh.  When I fill them, I try not to get any of the powdered hop pellet material in the tea ball and it works perfectly fine.  Hop haze, yes, but not floaties.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"