Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vacuum Packer  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
Vacuum Packer
« on: October 02, 2014, 10:18:27 am »
When I get 1 lb. packs of hops, I use an old small Food Saver, but lately it takes a long time to cycle, so I’m about ready to replace it, and wonder which model is recommended.  Thanks,
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Vacuum Packer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:51 am »
I have had this model for about a year. I break my hops down to 4oz bags when they come in and have sealed ~20 bags in a sitting without issue.

FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealing System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044XDA3S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_MTxlub1N1VHBF

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:35:03 am »
Thanks, Steve.  That looks like a more recent black model of my old white one.  I'm thinking of maybe moving up some.  That one is about $80, and they have a "bigger, better" ones for $110 to $200.  I wonder if they are faster, and make a better seal.  About 1 out of 10 bags leak in the freezer, not good for hops.
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 10:44:24 am »
Haven't had mine leak from the seal. I have had pinholes in the bags, but I think that has more to do with me being rough while digging through them.

Can always put a second seal a 1/2" up from the first seal.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:48:32 am »
I picked up a food saver at Costco for $50 bucks. Works great for hops, grains and deer meat. Can't complain.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:07:47 am »
I have had this model for about a year. I break my hops down to 4oz bags when they come in and have sealed ~20 bags in a sitting without issue.

FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealing System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044XDA3S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_MTxlub1N1VHBF

I've got the same one and I've been happy with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 11:12:25 am »

I picked up a food saver at Costco for $50 bucks. Works great for hops, grains and deer meat. Can't complain.

Nice. Every time I checked Costco all they had were the larger units with the extra bags for $160-200.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 11:21:36 am »
I have a lower end white one (not sure of the model number) but the bags will lose their seal from time to time.  I've started using mason jars and the jar accessory recently.  I have not had a seal come lose on a jar yet...some of the lids actually take some serious prying to get off.  The smaller pint jars hold about 8 oz of pellet hops.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 11:24:47 am »

+1

Bought it for hops, use it for tons of stuff now.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:56:11 am »
I've got a white foodsaver that looks to be roughly the same size.  It doesn't lock on the side, you just push down on the top and then press a release button once it seals.

I've never had an issue with it.  I break my hops down into 2 or 3 oz bags usually.

It seals well, works well, and was a gift so I have no idea what it cost.

I've got some rolls of bags that are too wide for it, but those can be cut down and made to work so that's not really an issue either.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »

+1

Bought it for hops, use it for tons of stuff now.

Same here.  I bet hops are no more than 15% of the total use of it for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 12:36:31 pm »
I have a lower end white one (not sure of the model number) but the bags will lose their seal from time to time.  I've started using mason jars and the jar accessory recently.  I have not had a seal come lose on a jar yet...some of the lids actually take some serious prying to get off.  The smaller pint jars hold about 8 oz of pellet hops.

With all the o2 taken out of the jar do you still need to refrigerate the hops? When I vacuum seal coffee beans I  store it in a cabinet and I've never had a problem with freshness, just curious.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 12:38:32 pm »

With all the o2 taken out of the jar do you still need to refrigerate the hops? When I vacuum seal coffee beans I  store it in a cabinet and I've never had a problem with freshness, just curious.

According to Bamforth, from a podcast, cold is more important than lack of o2. Guessing it was a brew strong episode, I know he has done a couple.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 12:42:23 pm »
I have the older white one for a long time and it works well. dry stuff like hops are easy but wet stuff like blanched green beans needs to be pre frozen. I've gotten a lot of use between hops and freezing veggies from the garden.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »

I'm not sure...I just keep them in the freezer anyways.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------