Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mini Tun  (Read 3476 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Mini Tun
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 07:52:25 pm »
Caught one hell of a cold right after posting this. My oven only gets down to 170. Won't a oven set at 170 raise a 150 degree mash? It must only raise the temp slightly over an hour?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 07:05:49 am »
Caught one hell of a cold right after posting this. My oven only gets down to 170. Won't a oven set at 170 raise a 150 degree mash? It must only raise the temp slightly over an hour?
Preheat to 170F. Turn it off before you start the mash, it takes some time to mix and adjust the temp if you are a little off. It takes some time to measure and adjust pH if you are one of those pH guys like me. Then when you are done, put it in the oven, which will be less than 170F. You could have an oven thermometer in there to tell you when the temp is 150F or a 150F +.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:32 am »
Preheat to 170F. Turn it off before you start the mash, it takes some time to mix and adjust the temp if you are a little off. It takes some time to measure and adjust pH if you are one of those pH guys like me. Then when you are done, put it in the oven, which will be less than 170F. You could have an oven thermometer in there to tell you when the temp is 150F or a 150F +.
Plus, the air in the oven isn't going to do much versus the thermal mass of your entire mash. Just think of it as being super-effective insulation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 07:45:09 am »
This is glorious. Can't wait to try this weekend

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 08:16:29 am »
Plus, the air in the oven isn't going to do much versus the thermal mass of your entire mash. Just think of it as being super-effective insulation.
+1
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 08:33:45 am »
I'm going try this next small batch. My ovens lowest temp is the oh so accurate warm.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 09:19:43 am »
Oven mash is how I did my first couple AG batches.  After 2 of those, I sprung for a cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 11:42:39 am »
So I did my first attempt using the oven last night. Forgot to turn the oven off, so when I checked the mash at 20 min it was at 163. Brought it down to 152 so we will see. Good thing is if this beer doesn't turn out, I only am out of pocket $3 in grains and 25 cents in hops. Fermenting this little guy at 60 degrees

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 03:24:46 pm »
If you are referring to the 3-gallon beverage cooler, I believe that that cooler has the same valve assembly as the larger coolers.  If so, all you need to do is remove the valve assembly while leaving the valve gasket in place.  A bulkhead can be fashioned from a #2.5 rubber stopper and piece of 3/8 racking cane or copper tubing.  The racking cane is threaded through the hole in the stopper such that about 2" is sticking out on both sides.   The stopper is inserted from the inside of the cooler, small-end first, and pushed until it is tight.  All you need then is a hose clamp and a length of braid on the inside and length of PVC or silicone tubing and hose clamp on the outside.   I used this type of bulkhead for the better part of ten years without incident.