Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New temp controller  (Read 3076 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
New temp controller
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:05:57 am »
Anybody use one of these?  http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=334  When I needed a temp controller recently I couldn't find a dual stage Ranco so I went with the single stage.  After the weather has recently tyaken a turn to 30 degree nights, I decided I better rectify that.  I ran across this one and the reviews are really positive.  Just curious if anyone here uses one.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: New temp controller
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:21:53 am »
Never have. How much is it? $$$$

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:23:20 am »

$79....good deal.  Just looking through the manual and now and my first impression is that it has more features than a Ranco.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:24:54 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:25:31 am »
Sounds like a solid price. My only worry would be the fridge/freezer cord. Most cords form a 90° angle to the plug down. Might cause extra stress on the outlet since it will be pulling out and down and not just down.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 11:33:59 am »
Sounds like a solid price. My only worry would be the fridge/freezer cord. Most cords form a 90° angle to the plug down. Might cause extra stress on the outlet since it will be pulling out and down and not just down.

I don't think that's gonna be an issue.  If it is, I'll just strain relief the cord to the wall.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 03:19:46 pm »
Denny did you end up getting this? I'm looking for a dual stage temp controller as well.

Offline blackislandbrewer

• Cellarman
  • An Ode to Beer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 03:52:55 pm »
I haven't put it to use just yet, but if you check out http://www.boostbysmith.com/stc1000.html , he's made and is selling a dual stage controller with programmable fermentation profiles for ramping up and down temps during fermentation. I just got mine, so no experience with it yet.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:55:09 pm by blackislandbrewer »
David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I read most of the posts on homebrewing forums, I hear them in the voice of the Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons"

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:44:22 am »
I have a Black Box. Blackboxbrew.com. It took about 2-3 weeks to get it from the time I put my email in to be notified of the next batch. Works perfectly. Haven't set it for ramping yet, but have a lager brew session coming up so I will have a chance to use this feature soon.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 11:32:32 am »
I just bought one.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:51:31 am »
Does this probe need a thermowell? The description mentions submerging as is...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 12:12:14 pm »

I just tape it to the side of a bucket with an old, dry sponge over the top of it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 12:44:26 pm »
The manual says that the probe can be submerged for extended periods of time, but my fermentor has a thermowell so I probably won't be testing that claim.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 02:57:18 pm »

I just tape it to the side of a bucket with an old, dry sponge over the top of it.

From my extended testing on this, it works really well taped to the fermenter and covered with a towel, or sponge in Denny's case! Great little device though, plug and play.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 04:32:31 pm »

From my extended testing on this, it works really well taped to the fermenter and covered with a towel, or sponge in Denny's case! Great little device though, plug and play.

And for the price of a Ranco, you can almost buy 2 of them!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 04:30:53 am »

$79....good deal.  Just looking through the manual and now and my first impression is that it has more features than a Ranco.

Price now $89