Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: StPats Service  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Jer

• 1st Kit
StPats Service
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:34:12 am »
Hi All,

I've been lurking here after a few posts and Q's back in Jan.  We've come a very long way in 4 short months and we're having some very good success.

I want to write and let you all know about the absolutely miserable experience I had trying to make a simple online purchase from StPats in San Antonio, Texas.

It went like this:

1. I'm seeking a stainless coil to use in a BBT for our large home brewery.  STOUT tanks suggests a Letina plate kit sold by StPats, and even gives me a link to the item on their site - very helpful.

2. I hum and hah about the BBT and the plate, and after about 10 days I decide that no matter what tank I choose, the plate will work.

3. I head to the StPats website on May 4.  I'm more than a little shocked by it's amateur/Y2K feel.  I'm a little shocked by the fact that the website forbids you from using the "go back" function of your browser once you have placed something in your cart - seems odd, but OK.

4. I persevere.  I see that StPats has no interest in taking the money of those who hold either Mexican or Canadian credit cards, which I find odd, since Visa is more than happy to convert my CDN in to USD.

5. I continue to perservere - forgetting my own rule that the internet is a very, very big place and that there is likely a more willing company that'd gladly take my dirty Canadian dollars.  I see that the website states that they will not ship an order of less than 1000$ to Canada.  "No problem!!" I say, as I have a drop shipping place in MT - problem solved - so I thought.

6. As StPats is not interested in my dirty Canadian (platinum) Visa, I must enter a BS number and wait for them to contact me with wiring or mailing instructions.  I'm good and pissed off by now, as again, this is 2015.  I have still not remembered my own rule re: the size of the internet.

7. I wait.  I wait for 48 hours - no call, no email.  On the morning of May 6th I try calling.  "Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring.......ring" - no answer.  I then realize that the very modern StPats website doesn't actually offer a phone number, and that by using YELP.com I have likely broken some StPats rule, so I email.  I email within the narrow window on hours that the StPats website will allow, and I get a response....

8. The email states this, and this alone:

As stated online our terms are $1000 minimum order for Canadian customers regardless of shipping point.
Your order does not meet the minimum $1000.00  so it was cancelled.

St. Patrick's of Texas
10601 Wetmore Rd
San Antonio, TX 78216
stpats@stpats.com
www.StPats.com

9.  Nice.  No call, no email, no flexibility.  Apparently canadians have a $1000 minimum cover charge for the privilege or shopping with Don.  I don't know who is keeping the lights on for this Jerk.  My guess is that he's a real sweetheast when Mondavi or Coor's calls, and the rest of us are a bother to him.  It was at this point that I used Google to learn more about other's experiences with StPat's, and it seems I am in good company.  See for yourself, it's ugly.  I'll be letting all of his suppliers know exactly how their products are being represented in the Southern USA.

I simply wanted you all to know what to expect should you wish to procure some goods from Don at StPats.  I eventually recalled my rule, and have found several other Letina dealers in the US, and a couple in Canada.  I'm gonna see if they're interested in my 500$ - even though they're just Canadian dollars.

-J.

ps - I found this gem on the website too:

Ordering Parts

We supply parts for equipment sold by us. We do not supply parts for equipment purchased elsewhere. In short, we will no longer be the service department for most of the winery equipment suppliers.
    Use the links below to find parts and order online. If the part is not listed, then send an email. Use schematics online to clearly specify the part.
    Do not call us about parts. Use email as it is far more efficient and accurate.

Apparently is is the upfront sale, and the upfront sale only, that is important to StPats.  "Find your own damn parts", "Make sure if you bother me, you have a part number", "don't call"........
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:39:29 am by Jer »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: StPats Service
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 08:17:24 am »
St. Pats has a long history of terrible customer service. If you google their name you'll probably come across quite a bit of complaining by pro brewers about trying to place orders through them.

Honestly I'm surprised anybody would refer business to them these days.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:46:57 am »
I'm pretty sure St. Pat's has a long history of poor customer service (at least since they stopped being a homebrew supplier back in the 90s).  I haven't heard any good customer service stories about them in at least that long.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:14:06 am »
Seems like homebrew and hobby shops suffer from owners who love their hobby but know nothing about retail.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:24:37 am »
Seems like homebrew and hobby shops suffer from owners who love their hobby but know nothing about retail.
St Pats hasn't been a homebrew shop since the 90s.  They started selling to commercial customers then and don't want to be bothered with small orders.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:57:25 am »
St Pats hasn't been a homebrew shop since the 90s.  They started selling to commercial customers then and don't want to be bothered with small orders.
Didn't they also switch to wine supplies and equipment?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:12:50 am »
I believe so, yes.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 10:17:40 am »
St. Pats was a home brewing pioneer.  They sold the first turn-key welded home brew-level kettles.  My guess is that they grew tired of dealing with home brewing problem children in the retail market.  We have all witnessed this type customer at one point in time.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:35:34 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:32:41 am »
Yeah, I remember dealing with them a long time ago and they used to be great in the mid-90s.  Their website still looks the same. lol  Then Lynn decided to get out of the homebrew business.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:42:09 am »
I've never dealt with them, fortunately. I'm baffled how a place like that stays in business :-/

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 06:22:07 pm »

Hi All,

I've been lurking here after a few posts and Q's back in Jan.  We've come a very long way in 4 short months and we're having some very good success.

I want to write and let you all know about the absolutely miserable experience I had trying to make a simple online purchase from StPats in San Antonio, Texas.

It went like this:

1. I'm seeking a stainless coil to use in a BBT for our large home brewery.  STOUT tanks suggests a Letina plate kit sold by StPats, and even gives me a link to the item on their site - very helpful.

2. I hum and hah about the BBT and the plate, and after about 10 days I decide that no matter what tank I choose, the plate will work.

3. I head to the StPats website on May 4.  I'm more than a little shocked by it's amateur/Y2K feel.  I'm a little shocked by the fact that the website forbids you from using the "go back" function of your browser once you have placed something in your cart - seems odd, but OK.

4. I persevere.  I see that StPats has no interest in taking the money of those who hold either Mexican or Canadian credit cards, which I find odd, since Visa is more than happy to convert my CDN in to USD.

5. I continue to perservere - forgetting my own rule that the internet is a very, very big place and that there is likely a more willing company that'd gladly take my dirty Canadian dollars.  I see that the website states that they will not ship an order of less than 1000$ to Canada.  "No problem!!" I say, as I have a drop shipping place in MT - problem solved - so I thought.

6. As StPats is not interested in my dirty Canadian (platinum) Visa, I must enter a BS number and wait for them to contact me with wiring or mailing instructions.  I'm good and pissed off by now, as again, this is 2015.  I have still not remembered my own rule re: the size of the internet.

7. I wait.  I wait for 48 hours - no call, no email.  On the morning of May 6th I try calling.  "Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring.......ring" - no answer.  I then realize that the very modern StPats website doesn't actually offer a phone number, and that by using YELP.com I have likely broken some StPats rule, so I email.  I email within the narrow window on hours that the StPats website will allow, and I get a response....

8. The email states this, and this alone:

As stated online our terms are $1000 minimum order for Canadian customers regardless of shipping point.
Your order does not meet the minimum $1000.00  so it was cancelled.

St. Patrick's of Texas
10601 Wetmore Rd
San Antonio, TX 78216
stpats@stpats.com
www.StPats.com

9.  Nice.  No call, no email, no flexibility.  Apparently canadians have a $1000 minimum cover charge for the privilege or shopping with Don.  I don't know who is keeping the lights on for this Jerk.  My guess is that he's a real sweetheast when Mondavi or Coor's calls, and the rest of us are a bother to him.  It was at this point that I used Google to learn more about other's experiences with StPat's, and it seems I am in good company.  See for yourself, it's ugly.  I'll be letting all of his suppliers know exactly how their products are being represented in the Southern USA.

I simply wanted you all to know what to expect should you wish to procure some goods from Don at StPats.  I eventually recalled my rule, and have found several other Letina dealers in the US, and a couple in Canada.  I'm gonna see if they're interested in my 500$ - even though they're just Canadian dollars.

-J.

ps - I found this gem on the website too:

Ordering Parts

We supply parts for equipment sold by us. We do not supply parts for equipment purchased elsewhere. In short, we will no longer be the service department for most of the winery equipment suppliers.
    Use the links below to find parts and order online. If the part is not listed, then send an email. Use schematics online to clearly specify the part.
    Do not call us about parts. Use email as it is far more efficient and accurate.

Apparently is is the upfront sale, and the upfront sale only, that is important to StPats.  "Find your own damn parts", "Make sure if you bother me, you have a part number", "don't call"........

Sorry about your experience but Internet is littered with similar reviews.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Jer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:22:46 pm »
Everything above is true.  They are now mainly wine related products.

I can guarantee that STOUT tanks will no longer be sender people to StPats.  They are so friendly and helpful, and felt really bad for sending me there.

Do any of you have any other suggestions for how I could find a relatively simple way to hang a coil or plate under the lid of the BBT that is headed my way??  I'm trying to avoid having to drill and weld, but maybe I should just man up and do it.

-J.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 05:14:55 am »
It has been well documented that St. Pats hates brewers! It's as simple as that. And apparently Canadians too!

Offline Jer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 11:03:12 pm »

It has been well documented that St. Pats hates brewers! It's as simple as that. And apparently Canadians too!

Canadian brewers are the absolute worst, there's no question....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk