Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best vessel to dry hop in?  (Read 4492 times)

narvin

Re: Best vessel to dry hop in?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 09:36:57 am »
The best vessel to dry hop in is anything you can fit in a freezer/fridge to crash cool.  This drops the pellets out and gives you clear beer without worrying about bags or strainers that reduce contact area or oxidize the beer.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 09:41:10 am »
I have also begun to reuse and wash my yeast, so it is easier to wash the yeast and not worry about separating hop gunk if I dry hop in the keg.

Rinsing yeast with boiled water is not a sound brewing practice.  All you need to do to repitch yeast is crop and pitch.  It's that simple.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 10:04:20 am »
I have also begun to reuse and wash my yeast, so it is easier to wash the yeast and not worry about separating hop gunk if I dry hop in the keg.

Rinsing yeast with boiled water is not a sound brewing practice.  All you need to do to repitch yeast is crop and pitch.  It's that simple.

Amazing how many people think that doing more work will result in a better outcome, isn't it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 10:38:15 am »
Amazing how many people think that doing more work will result in a better outcome, isn't it?

Yeast rinsing is a home brewing practice that refuses to die.  If I recall correctly, Charlie covered the process in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing (I gave my well-worn copy away years ago).   

I blame the current popularity of yeast rinsing on a large home brewing forum that is chock full of sock puppets and trolls.  While a few gems can be mined from that forum, the signal-to-noise ratio is fairly low.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:47:31 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 11:33:29 am »

Yeast rinsing is a home brewing practice that refuses to die.  If I recall correctly, Charlie covered the process in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing (I gave my well-worn copy away years ago).   

I blame the current popularity of yeast rinsing on a large home brewing forum it is chock full of sock puppets and trolls.  While a few gems can be mined from that forum, the signal-to-noise ratio is fairly low.

I believe I know which one you're referring to and I totally agree.  It really appears to be another case of not trying it the easy way before deciding that the other way is best. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 11:42:43 am »
Yeah, I never bought in to the yeast rinsing thing either, Denny. I always had good luck using a yeast calculator and repitching the right amount of slurry. I figured if it wasn't broke......
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 12:50:28 pm »
Yeah, I never bought in to the yeast rinsing thing either, Denny. I always had good luck using a yeast calculator and repitching the right amount of slurry. I figured if it wasn't broke......

I tried rinsing several times before deciding that I wasn't finding any advantage to it.  Too much effort with no payback.  Plus, I felt like messing with the yeast was just one more place for contamination.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 01:15:17 pm »
Way too much effort. It was nice to see a thick slab of clean yeast in the end, but not worth the time.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 03:31:23 pm »
Never tried rinsing. Never worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »
My evolution was dry yeast, liquid, liquid with a srarter, liquid with a stir plate starter (biggest leap in quality), then repitching from a yeast cake (racking and brewing on same day), then rinsing for about an 8 month period... then I read S Cer's post about pH of water vs beer. Makes perfect sense so I quit rinsing. Lately I've been brewing a variety of things so I've temporarily gone back to a fresh pack and my stir plate.

When I was repitching, I found that the third or fourth batch in a series would seem best. But, there are so many variables in home brewing, and I had been told that tge 3rd or 4th is best, so it could have just been an imagined difference. I am finding now that a fresh starter from a fresh pack is pretty much as good as it gets, plus or minus some tiny variable that homebrewers always debate. I will only be resusing yeast from now on if its a planned out series of beers. Example: a 60/- to an Export to a Heavy, or a Blond to a Tripel to a Quad, or a G Pils to an Oktoberfest to a Bock. Otherwise I'll probably just go with a fresh pitch.

Edit: Forgot where I was going with that. The up side to not reusing yeast is that you can commando dry hop to your hearts content and not worry too much about mucking up your yeast cake.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:36:14 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 03:47:25 pm »

Wow! So I'm supposed to pop out of the Mother Homebrewer's womb knowing everything that the rest of you have already tried and discarded?  How stupid of me to experiment and explore like you all did in the past. Next time please remind me to consult the forum before I try anything new(to me anyway).

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 04:12:42 pm »

Wow! So I'm supposed to pop out of the Mother Homebrewer's womb knowing everything that the rest of you have already tried and discarded?  How stupid of me to experiment and explore like you all did in the past. Next time please remind me to consult the forum before I try anything new(to me anyway).

I hear ya. In their defense when you live on this forum its easy to develop a mind set that everyone on here must have been following all of tge discussions over the past year. I am certain they didn't intend to sound like they were snubbing you. But I totally see where you are coming from.

Actually, I am certain Denny would encourage you to experiment and learn it through your personal experiences. I think he was commenting more so on a group of brewers who dont think simple works and complicated processes must be better.

Anyway, don't take it personally. I have no doubt they did not mean it that way.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 05:01:16 pm »
factory - I promise I meant no offense, and I doubt anybody else did either.  I've brewed for a long time and followed a lot of 'conventional wisdom' along the way - things like doing a secondary for every beer, using crystal in most every style, thinking I had to use glass carboys to make good beer, etc. Rinsing yeast turned into conventional wisdom too. I think if your sanitation is good, you can make good beer rinsing yeast, no arguments. Honestly, I have a lazy streak and loved the results I've always gotten by repitching a portion of the cake, and so I never saw a problem that I felt I needed improvement there. But no two homebrewers anywhere do everything identically - we like to try things and experiment just by our natures. And that's a GOOD thing. That gives us a wider set of data to share and debate. Again, no offense intended. We appreciate your contributions here. Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:03:18 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 07:31:04 pm »

Please do not take what we are saying personally.  Trust me, neither Denny's nor my comments were directed at you personally.  We are merely pointing out that the practice requires one to perform unnecessary work.  Yeast rinsing is also not a sound practice from a biological point of view.  I created a thread about the practice of yeast rinsing back in July of this year; therefore, I will spare forum members a repost.  However, here is a link to the thread if you care to understand why yeast rinsing is a poor practice: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.0

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:32:10 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 11:36:57 pm »
If anyone should be pointed at it would be some fairly famous brewing people who still tout rinsing yeast as The thing to do.