Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What's your preferred CO2 tank size?

5lb
10lb
15lb
20lb
None of the above

Author Topic: CO2 Tank Size  (Read 7862 times)

S. cerevisiae

CO2 Tank Size
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:43:37 am »
I have owned steel (20lb) and aluminum (5 and 10 pound) CO2 tanks.  My back prefers aluminum, but steel tanks win hands down when it comes to longevity.  I am still amazed by the fact that my original steel CO2 tank had an original test date in the late 40s.  I have never seen an aluminum tank with a really old original hydrostatic test date.

With that said, my favorite tank size from a use point of view is 5 pounds.  However, 20lb tanks are the clear winner when it comes to total cost of ownership.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: CO2 Tank Size
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:48:58 am »
I've got a steel 20 lb.  Yeah, it's heavy.  I now have kegs in 2 different locations, so I'm thinking of picking up a 5 lb. also.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 10:50:37 am »
It is a gas what we are after. Tank does not matter too much as long as it holds liquid gas.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:35:38 pm »
I prefer my 20#'er as I typically only have to fill it once a year and it lasts at least that long most of the time.  I only keg my beer, use the tank for my beer gun for comps and to close transfer when packaging into the keg.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »
I keep a 20 pounder on hand and at least one 5 pound bottle just in case I'm stupid and run out.  The small bottle is handy for other uses in the brewery.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:00:01 pm »
I exchange my tanks at airgas. They try to give me Aluminum if they have one. They usually don't. I don't care and I never ask, but, the folks there always tell me they tried to find Aluminum. 

5# last me at least 6 months maybe longer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »
I have kegs in the garage and in the basement. I have a 5, a 10, and 2 of the 20s. One 20 is steel, the other AL.

The 5 and 10 seem to spend more time in the basement due to the stairs. The AL 20 May go down there is needed, but not the steel one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 04:42:03 pm »
Lately, local establishments have stopped exchanging 20# tanks, so now I use a 15. I'd like to get a little paintball tank for traveling and emergencies.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 05:08:06 pm »
I go through around 5 pounds of CO2 per year.   However, I am not into gassy beer, and most of my soda kegs are 3-gallon kegs (my standard batch size is 3.5 gallons). 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 03:01:08 am »
I have two 5s. They last several months unless I spring a leak... I would like to add a 20 but I'm trying to imagine how irritated I would be to find a full 20lbs empty overnight because of a stupid o ring.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 04:24:38 am »
I have two 5# AL tanks, one as a spare. They last an average of 6 mos. This is carbing/serving 5 kegs, pushing cleaner/sanitizer through kegs and beer lines, etc. While the refill cost/pound is cheaper on the 20#, I just like the size and weight of the 5#.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 05:22:35 am »
I have two 20 pounders and a 2.5 pound for the party cooler.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 08:25:47 am »
I have a 20 lb. tank for the kegerator and a 5 lb. tank for when the 20 runs out on a Sunday afternoon after everyone is closed. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 09:16:51 am »
Just got a 20lb tank for the downstairs lagering fridge.  It was free from a homebrewing friend who was doing work on some old union shop and found 10 of them in the basement that the owners wanted to get rid of.

I have a 5lb tank for my kegerator built into a wooden bar, since it fits in the fridge.  Also use another 5lb tank as a backup, for transfering out of the fermenter under pressure, and for my serial killer bolt gun murder apparatus.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 01:36:45 pm »
I have a 50lb tank, a 20lb tank, and several 5lb tanks.  I use the 20lb tank is probably the best at being portable yet cheapest for the amount of co2 you get.  Of course the 50lb tank is cheap to get filled but I am not moving it around anywhere... The tare weight on it is 150lbs (previous tank was 100lbs... didn't notice this one was so much heavier last time I exchanged it)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"