Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What's your preferred CO2 tank size?

5lb
10lb
15lb
20lb
None of the above

Author Topic: CO2 Tank Size  (Read 7819 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: CO2 Tank Size
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 07:41:40 pm »
I have 2 tens and a five.  I may get a 20, but like Jim says - one leak would make me reconsider the choice.   One of my tens needs a hydro test next time it is empty, so I hope it passes.  I think the aluminum is prone to oxidation, if that is what they call it.  I just know that at the last test I had done, I had to buy another tank because the first one failed due to the interior condition.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »
I just know that at the last test I had done, I had to buy another tank because the first one failed due to the interior condition.

Was that tank an aluminum tank?  I have never owned an aluminum tank long enough to need a hydrostatic test.  I usually trade or sell them before they need to be retested. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 08:33:45 pm »
Exchange is the way to go. The places I go try to replace with a tank that has a slightly newer date.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 05:21:05 am »
I go with a company that does fire and safety - right down the street from me.  Way more convenient than any welding supply company - which are pretty far from where I live and their hours are pretty limited to M-F 8-4:30.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:13 am »
I go with a company that does fire and safety - right down the street from me.  Way more convenient than any welding supply company - which are pretty far from where I live and their hours are pretty limited to M-F 8-4:30.

I use a fire/safety place too.  They do a great job, are very reasonably priced and never ask where the tanks came from.  (I have one that I bought but may have been sourced slightly less than legally.  Not by me but by someone up the sales chain. ::))  They aren't the fastest place to get a tank filled but they are great to deal with.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 10:50:54 am »
Two fivers here. One in the two tap kegerator, the other dedicated for beer gun use, fast force carbing and as a backup for the other.
I'm only here for the beer....

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 07:27:15 am »

I too tend to use places that specialize in fire protection.  There was a local fire protection outfit that would charge by the number of pounds of CO2, which was nice because there was no penalty for having a 5lb tank filled. It looks like that company went out of business. Home brewers represented a tiny fraction of their business; therefore, I am positive that we were the not cause of their demise.   I am back to using a company that charges almost as much to fill a 5lb tank as they do a 20lb tank, which is why I am considering picking up a larger tank with a siphon tube.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:25:53 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 07:46:37 am »

I do the same - Simplex Grinnell here in Las Vegas. Believe it or not, I found Simplex Grinnell through an off-roading forum. Apparently some folks carry CO2 tanks around in the mud ...

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 11:01:28 am »
I have a 10 lb aluminum tank which I use for carbing and dispensing kegs, racking beer out of the fermentor, and purging bottles for gifts and competition entries.  It lasts me about 6 months between fills, and the LHBS charges $20 to fill it.

Unforunately, it needs a hydro test before its next fill.  I'm not even sure where I can get that done around here or whether I'll be able to keep the same tank.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 11:15:42 am »
I have a 10 lb aluminum tank which I use for carbing and dispensing kegs, racking beer out of the fermentor, and purging bottles for gifts and competition entries.  It lasts me about 6 months between fills, and the LHBS charges $20 to fill it.

Unforunately, it needs a hydro test before its next fill.  I'm not even sure where I can get that done around here or whether I'll be able to keep the same tank.

Look up companies that advertize as "Carbonics" dealers.  They may cater to beverage companies, restaurants, medical facilities or whatever but they do tank certs everyday.  You can also look up fire equipment companies or dive shops.  Welding supply companies are good options too (lots of different gases available and most can do certs or at least direct you to someone who can).

Paul

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 11:29:40 am »
I have 2 tens and a five.  I may get a 20, but like Jim says - one leak would make me reconsider the choice.   

I think locally 20lb fills are the same as 5,10, 15.  It may be that 15 is the break-point though.  I thought a couple of my tanks were 25lb, but I can't find the invoice to check.

Regardless, more gas for the same price is the best way to go in my opinion.

What fries my ass is that they want $10 to refill a paint ball container.  No way.  I believe Dick's does it for $3.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 12:52:54 pm »

Look up companies that advertize as "Carbonics" dealers.  They may cater to beverage companies, restaurants, medical facilities or whatever but they do tank certs everyday.  You can also look up fire equipment companies or dive shops.  Welding supply companies are good options too (lots of different gases available and most can do certs or at least direct you to someone who can).

Paul

If you don't mind a tank swap instead of a refill, most industrial and restaurant suppliers will take your expired empty tank and swap for a current cert full tank at no upcharge. They recert their own tanks all the time, and consider it the cost of business. Once you've got their tank you can get it filled anywhere you like. I've replaced two expired tanks that way, one time they even took an expired 2.5 tank that I got for free and gave me a 5lb in exchange.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 01:11:17 pm »
Two fivers here. One in the two tap kegerator, the other dedicated for beer gun use, fast force carbing and as a backup for the other.

Same here.

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 05:31:41 am »

Paul

If you don't mind a tank swap instead of a refill, most industrial and restaurant suppliers will take your expired empty tank and swap for a current cert full tank at no upcharge. They recert their own tanks all the time, and consider it the cost of business. Once you've got their tank you can get it filled anywhere you like. I've replaced two expired tanks that way, one time they even took an expired 2.5 tank that I got for free and gave me a 5lb in exchange.

That sounds like a good deal.  Sadly I'm one of those people who is hung up on keeping my own tanks.  I don't do propane exchange either.  I can't explain why, just one of many OCD like things I do (Like the fact 3-way light switches have a "right way" to be turned off.)   ::)

Paul

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 05:02:05 pm »
I started with a 20 pounder, was given a 2 pounder and bought a 5 pounder.  The weldng shop owner swapped my original 20 and 5 for 2 oddball 30 pounders.  Then a friend bought a house that had a half full 50 pounder which he gave to me.  So now I own a 50, 2 30's  a 2 and a 2.5 that I bought from somebody here.  The 2 and 2.5 are perfect for taking to parties with my cornies.
Fill cost: 
2/2.5  $8
5  $10
30  $12
50  $20
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico