Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SS mesh vs false bottom  (Read 23401 times)

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
SS mesh vs false bottom
« on: April 25, 2010, 12:29:21 pm »
I have always used a false bottom in my 10G cylindrical tun but have been advised by a friend that he substituted SS mesh tube with significant improvement..any experiences?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: SS mesh vs false bottom
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:52:56 pm »
I've tried false bottoms, manifolds, and the SS screen mesh.  My experience is that the mesh is less prone to stuck or slow runoffs than the other 2 and the wort clears much more quickly during vorlauf.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »
The downside to SS mesh tubes is that the HBS makes a lot of money selling those expensive false bottoms. ;)

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:13:14 am »
The downside to SS mesh tubes is that the HBS makes a lot of money selling those expensive false bottoms. ;)

But the OP has already purchased one, so go for the ss mesh tube  :P

BTW, I can't speak of the others, but I have only ever used a SS mesh tube and love it.
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:02:10 am »
I have always used a false bottom in my 10G cylindrical tun but have been advised by a friend that he substituted SS mesh tube with significant improvement..any experiences?

You can brew great beer with any of those devises.  But a false bottom is the best choice for full efficiency of your grains.  The mesh tube sitting down the middle of your tun will have a hard time sparging the grains to the side of it way at the bottom.  Look to Plamer's "How to brew" for some flow diagrams.  I use a foldable false bottom in a 1/2 gallon keg, with the outlest at the very bottom.  I control mash temp through a RIMS systems.  Never once had a stuck sparge.  Even with an Amber I brew with lots of 6-row. 

But, like I said.  You can make great beers with any of the systems. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:12:18 am »
mic, that's true if you're fly sparging, but it doesn't apply to batch sparging.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 11:35:42 am »
mic, that's true if you're fly sparging, but it doesn't apply to batch sparging.

I do fly sparge.  I can "see" what you're saying.  Good clarification.

Offline daubon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:15:26 pm »
 Why would you say "Even with an Amber I brew with lots of 6-row."  Is 6-row more likely to casue a stuck sparge?

Pepe

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:20:23 pm »
Why would you say "Even with an Amber I brew with lots of 6-row."  Is 6-row more likely to casue a stuck sparge?

Pepe

I'd think it would be the other way around...I may be mistaken, but I thought 6 row had more husk material, which would help prevent a stuck runoff.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

Pepe

I'd think it would be the other way around...I may be mistaken, but I thought 6 row had more husk material, which would help prevent a stuck runoff.

LHBS suggested using rice hulls with 1/2 of grist being 6-row.  I chose not too. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 05:03:43 pm »

Pepe

LHBS suggested using rice hulls with 1/2 of grist being 6-row.  I chose not too. 

I don't understand that.  AFAIK, 6 row has more husk material is less prone to sticking than 2 row.  Maybe I'm wrong...

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07:51 pm »
Here is one source about husk content:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Malting101/The_Row_Less_Traveled.htm

"Some of the additional protein comes from the higher husk content of 6-Row malting barley. Because it's more plump, 2-Row malt has less husk in relation to its size than 6-Row malt."

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 10:23:59 pm »
I use a false bottom stuck with a stainless screen over it just for added benefit.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 05:38:52 am »
To clarify,I batch sparge

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:28:07 am »

Pepe

I don't understand that.  AFAIK, 6 row has more husk material is less prone to sticking than 2 row.  Maybe I'm wrong...

Agreed, I did some research last night, and just as others have already said, 6-row does have more husk material. 

But, I would still recommend to one and all to use a false bottom, regardless of sparging method.