Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refrigerator selection help  (Read 1588 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Refrigerator selection help
« on: October 06, 2014, 03:47:50 pm »
I am slowly coming to grips that my old 1950s refrigerator has bitten the dust and I need to replace it.

I am hoping someone here has already done the research for me on fridges, and can point me in the right direction.  All I am looking for in a fridge is that it is big enough to hold two 6.5 gallon buckets or carboys (e.g., better bottles) primary fermentors.  I have a Ranco controller for keeping the temperature at 50°F. I don't need anything else.  Do they make such a thing?

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Re: Refrigerator selection help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »
Have you considered a chest freezer? I know that it is hard to get things in and out of it, but it is easy to find the right sized one for you brewing needs.

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:59:54 am »
+1 chest freezer. There are plenty of them around. I spent a good deal of time searching for the right sized mini fridge to build into my bar, I needed the door on the front, not the top. I had to settle for a fridge that I could barely squeeze two 5 gallon kegs into after cutting off the door paneling. It works, but I wish I could have done a chest freezer.
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:02:35 pm »
Thanks.  I see there are a lot of different sizes in chest freezers.  Now I have to measure my fermentors and see what will work.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »
Thanks.  I see there are a lot of different sizes in chest freezers.  Now I have to measure my fermentors and see what will work.

There is a thread somewhere on HBT that lists a lot of common freezer and what they can hold with and without collars. Worth a search.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »
That HBT thread is very detailed and helpful. It has sketches of layouts with all different sizes if fermenters, kegs, and gas cylinders

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:50 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  That is just what I was looking for.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/

I know my old fridge, which held two 6.5 gallon better bottles, also held three cornies.  So I will be looking for the three cornie freezer.