Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Article Tips  (Read 2354 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Article Tips
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »
I read an article in the New Brewer from Fat Head's Matt Cole yesterday. One question relates to keys to making a great IPA. I realized I do some things that are contradictory and I'm curious what your thoughts are on these points.
-Minimize crystal malts (I know I've probably asked this one 50x before) and I've tried to move away from using them.

-Reduce solid mass to fermenters. Is this pertaining to any sludge that gets dumped from the brew kettle into my fermenter?

-Keep dry hops in suspension with the beer during conditioning. I definitely don't do this. I just throw them without a bag and keep my fingers crossed.

-Don't filter, it strips color, mouthful, body, and aroma. I always use Irish Moss.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Article Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 12:51:52 pm »
first thing to remember is that what works for the pros on pro systems is not always right or necessary for us amateurs. that being said;

1) as denny says use as much or as little as it takes to get the results you are after. for IPAs (west coast style anyway) this usually means little to none as people are after a pretty bone dry clean palate to showcase the hops. if you want to use some crystal and you like the results that's what works for you.

2) this is really up for grabs. there is some evidence that too much trub can negatively affect the long term shelf life of the beer. On the other hand, some trub can be really good for the yeast. If you are reusing yeast less trub in the fermenter means cleaner yeast to harvest.

3) I'm sure keeping the hops moving around would benefit the speed at which they give up their goodness but I personally don't have a way to do that without risking oxidation and I get decent results without it.

4) irish moss is not the same as filtering. It can still strip out some hop flavor compounds in the boil but once it's in the fermenter the irish moss is settled on the bottom or gone entirely (reference Item 2) so it won't affect dry hopping results.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 06:17:41 am »
In a conical the hops might drop into the cone. Pros get them back into suspension by blowing CO2 into the bottom port.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 07:42:35 am »
I think limiting the amount of Oxygen after pitching is also very important. A buddy of mine has a keg specifically used for dry hopping to transfer without exposure to O2. You can also read the Zymurgy with the NHC winner in the IPA category. He has won a couple of times and his process is all about not exposing the beer to O2.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 07:57:36 am »
I think limiting the amount of Oxygen after pitching is also very important. A buddy of mine has a keg specifically used for dry hopping to transfer without exposure to O2. You can also read the Zymurgy with the NHC winner in the IPA category. He has won a couple of times and his process is all about not exposing the beer to O2.

Yep, limiting O2 exposure is huge. I rack into a purged keg and do my dry hopping there, in a canister. The hop aroma is stronger and lasts longer this way. +1 to Kelsey and Mitch Steele both having excellent IPA tips.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:47:41 am »
Regarding the solid mass in fermenters, I think the thought there is that hop compounds can stick to anything in suspension, which would then pull them out of solution during fermentation/conditioning. It's a reasonable idea, but I'm not sure just how much effect this has in the end. It certainly can't hurt to take some extra precautions, but I'm not personally going out of the way to do this.

Keeping the dry hops in suspension isn't really feasible for the homebrewer unless you ferment in a conical or closed keg where you can blow CO2 through the beer to rouse the dry hops. But, as mentioned before, the vessels we typically ferment in as homebrewers leave more surface area for contact with the hops.

My main tip for IPA's is to use more hops. :) That will generally overcome any of the issues mentioned.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:07:05 am »
I know a few homebrewers that use their stainless racking cane attached to co2 to rouse yeast and dry hops. I don't do it, but it is possible without a conical.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 04:56:56 pm »

Yep, limiting O2 exposure is huge. I rack into a purged keg and do my dry hopping there, in a canister. The hop aroma is stronger and lasts longer this way. +1 to Kelsey and Mitch Steele both having excellent IPA tips.
Vinnie Cilurzo said years back that one should purge the vessel and hoses.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!