Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sweet Orange Aroma  (Read 1547 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Sweet Orange Aroma
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:39 am »
made my normal house IPA a few weeks back for my brewclub's upcoming Fest Party and just kegged it on Tuesday.  same standard recipe I've developed and used for years, and in fact i have the previous batch on tap in my house.  Dryhop is 50:50 Simcoe and Amarillo. 

Aroma on this one has a very large sweet orange and honey presence, rather than citrus with loads of pine and some of that simcoe dank.  has an orange-y flavor as well.

variables that were different this time: i dryhopped in primary conical this time rather than in the keg due to time and space constraints, and i used 2012 harvest leaf hops (vacuum sealed, unopened and frozen) versus the newer pellets I normally use.

trying to pinpoint what caused the stark difference versus the last batch (much more what you'd expect for that dryhop combo - my recipe usually comes out very reminscent of Alpine Duet).  I haven't dryhoppped in primary in a year or two now, but it could be the old hops.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Sweet Orange Aroma
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:49:05 am »
That sounds pretty drastic, Paul. There are compounds formed in the presence of yeast (ala primary) that aren't formed nearly as much in a more yeast free environment like a keg, according to Stan H. I wonder if it's a combination of that and the hops differences - ie., leaf, harvest, etc. I've never gotten that out of Amarillo/Simcoe 50:50.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:56:59 am »
That sounds pretty drastic, Paul. There are compounds formed in the presence of yeast (ala primary) that aren't formed nearly as much in a more yeast free environment like a keg, according to Stan H. I wonder if it's a combination of that and the hops differences - ie., leaf, harvest, etc. I've never gotten that out of Amarillo/Simcoe 50:50.

that's what I was thinking.  I think I remember Denny commenting on some more sweet aromas when dryhopping in primary recently.

it isn't a 'bad' aroma, its just very starkly different from not only what I remember, but the previous batch I have about 7 more gallons left of!

its possible its just 'green' beer and will round out in the keg over the next few days, but I doubt it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:07:09 pm »
I've keg hopped for 2 or 3 years now. Makes me want to do a split batch to compare again - half in primary, half in keg.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:16:39 pm »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16790.msg211345#msg211345

and here we go.

though the comments on the good batch with tangerine and lemon notes are similar to what I'm getting...

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 03:01:32 pm »
I'm guessing it's the Amarillo. I haven't liked anything I've brewed with Amarillo this year. There were lots of complaints about the 2013 crop of Amarillo being off.
Jesse