Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider original gravity  (Read 22717 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Cider original gravity
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 04:11:01 pm »
just picked up my freshly pressed, nothing added apple juice (cider)- 1.054. should be great in the apple ale
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:03 pm »
I pressed out 20 gallons of cider this year, from a variety of apples.  Some Fireside and Golden Delicious, but most of a couple unknown varieties.  I tend to pick what I can get for free and go from there.

My gravity came out at 1.052, which I guess is pretty high based on what the rest of you are saying.

I wonder if my higher gravity came from the fact that I let the apples "sweat" for almost a month before pressing?  If the apples are sweating out moisture, then the sugar concentration would be constantly increasing. 

I mainly let them sweat since I know they'll keep fine (assuming I've taken care in picking them and not bruised them up or mixed in apples of questionable quality), and I'm amassing a huge quantity over a couple weeks.  I've also read that sweating the apples aids in juice extraction. 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 05:58:36 am »
Yeah, sweating will improve gravity significantly.

Unfortunately, I don't do that anymore because with my juicer (yeah, that's right, I use a kitchen juicer appliance), the damn thing will clog up every time if I use the softer sweated apples.  With my appliance, I have to use fresh crisp apples or else it's an enormous PITA.  So, I get a little lower OG juice, and then add a couple two or three ounces of sugar IF necessary to bring it above 1.045.  Which, this year, I didn't even have to do that.  Depends on the apples, and the season, etc.  Last year I only got 1.042 if memory serves, so I should have added a little sugar but didn't.  This year if memory serves I got 1.047 and I was happy with that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:57 am »
I think higher gravities to improve shelf life are somewhat held over from when ciders were pressed in cider houses using wood equipment, perhaps fermented in barrels, and maybe fermented using natural yeasts. Those conditions would promote a large diversity of microflora, some of which would need to be kept in check. Modern sanitation makes that much less necessary. If we can brew low ABV beers that are stable no reason we can't make lower ABV ciders.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 08:06:34 am »
I think higher gravities to improve shelf life are somewhat held over from when ciders were pressed in cider houses using wood equipment, perhaps fermented in barrels, and maybe fermented using natural yeasts. Those conditions would promote a large diversity of microflora, some of which would need to be kept in check. Modern sanitation makes that much less necessary. If we can brew low ABV beers that are stable no reason we can't make lower ABV ciders.

+1.  I make almost exclusively ~ 5% abv ciders and have zero issues.
Jon H.