Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New hobby  (Read 2186 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
New hobby
« on: September 30, 2014, 03:36:43 pm »
After 40 years of noodling around on a six string I picked up a double bass. This summer I had the opportunity of backing up some really talented guys on stage at a small local bluegrass festival. Fell in love with the dobro sound. So the wife said if I teach her the bass I could get a dobro. Deal!!!!

After some research I decided on a Red Line Rambler. Red Line is an up and coming custom builder just north of Nashville. Fortunately they also hand build a reasonably priced instrument. It will be here Monday and I'm stoked!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: New hobby
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:47:12 pm »
very nice.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:32:44 pm »
A well-made instrument is always a joy to play. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:35:56 pm »
Nice! I've always wondered if lap steel players felt like they were playing backwards. The whole concept of reaching over the top of the fretboard instead of underneath always seemed so alien to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:49:56 pm »
Its different thats for sure

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:15:41 am »
Nice! I've always wondered if lap steel players felt like they were playing backwards. The whole concept of reaching over the top of the fretboard instead of underneath always seemed so alien to me.
A guy in my high school jazz band did that with a stand up bass, but I suspect he did it to try and look cool.  I played trumpet...no way to look cool doing that.  8)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:12:46 am »
A guy in my high school jazz band did that with a stand up bass, but I suspect he did it to try and look cool.  I played trumpet...no way to look cool doing that.  8)
Miles Davis looked pretty cool! 8)
Jim, I don't know much about the instrument but it sure does look pretty. Have fun.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:33 am »
Enjoy, Jim!  I would love a dobro, but I already have many instruments that I don't pay enough attention to.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:00 am »
Enjoy, Jim!  I would love a dobro, but I already have many instruments that I don't pay enough attention to.

I know that disease. For some reason, it doesn't stop me from acquiring more.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:37:27 am »

When I go to acquire a new instrument, I often get "you don't even play the ones you have".  And at hundreds or thousands of dollars per investment, I find it increasingly difficult to justify.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 09:00:25 pm »

This is why I do not let myself walk into Guitar Center even slightly inebriated. That didgeridoo from last time is still collecting dust...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 10:01:00 pm »
A getting stopped with a new didgerido from guitar center in the car is a sure way to get searched, I would think. Unless you are in Washington or Colorado

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 07:42:09 am »
A getting stopped with a new didgerido from guitar center in the car is a sure way to get searched, I would think. Unless you are in Washington or Colorado
Yes, a didgeridoo that is in plain sight surely constitutes reasonable suspicion to conduct a vehicle search. If the search turns up Frisbee golf discs they don't even have to find the pot to get a conviction.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 09:56:25 am »
Yes, a didgeridoo that is in plain sight surely constitutes reasonable suspicion to conduct a vehicle search. If the search turns up Frisbee golf discs they don't even have to find the pot to get a conviction.

;D

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 09:30:14 pm »

;D  Good one!