Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calculating Hop Contracts  (Read 4809 times)

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
Re: Calculating Hop Contracts
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 10:17:53 pm »
Depending on where you are looking to contract, even a small contract can be useful because it can allow you to transfer part of other breweries' contracts to your contract. This allows you to lock-in the hops but delay delivery to more reasonable increments (i.e. a 11 pound box at a time). Exact policy and procedure for this varies with each supplier obviously.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 05:36:08 pm »
There is a few smaller local hop coops that sell hops without contract. Look around if you can find them.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 12:13:07 pm »
I'm starting a 10 BBL brewery, and have a few questions about hop contracts.

1. Did you sign a 5 year contract?
2. How big is your brew house, and hop many pounds do you contract per year?
3. By what % did you increase your hop demand each year?

We have 3 bbl opening this year. We have lots of contracts. Some big some small some 1 year others 3 or 5 years. In the end there are ways to get rid of what you dont need or want.

1. Sign a 5 year on the hops you absolutely must have to make the beers you want
2. 3 bbl system. I bought 500 + lbs of spot hops then contracted 11# up to 100# on other verities for 3-5 years out. Plus a bunch of other stuff in low qty to experiment with.
3. 10-15% but depends on what you are brewing or if you plan to expand or add tanks. Then it could be higher...

My advice: Contract what you need for sure what you can't live w/o. There are a lot of spot hops and breweries who will sell/trade if you need something you can't or didn't contract for. Make friends w/ other local brewers see what they have on Hand and I bet they are long on a few varieties.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com