Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cranberry Geyser  (Read 935 times)

Offline Big Sheffy

• 1st Kit
Cranberry Geyser
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:18:21 am »
I'm still fairly new at this, since this question is about my third batch. Well, I decided I know everything there is to know about zymurgy and charged forth with my own wacky recipe, a cranberry dunkelweizen. After a bit of light reading I decided the best way to cran the crap out of this beer was to put mashed cranberries in the secondary with a teaspoon of bloomed gelatin to knock down the haze. Problem is, I check it the next day and I've got beer dribbling out of the airlock. Where did I go wrong?
"While I'm still confused and uncertain, it's on a much higher plane, d'you see, and at least I know I'm bewildered about the really fundamental and important facts of the universe."
 -Terry Pratchett
Primary: Big Sheffy's Heavy Hefe
Secondary: Kringle Krunk Cranberry Dunk
Bottle coditioning: That Ginger Bastard (Gingerbread Northern Brown)
In my belly: Mutt Honey Porter

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Cranberry Geyser
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:48 am »
not enough headspace.

while the sugar content of cranberries is low it isn't zero. when you introduced them to the yeast there was a secondary fermentation.

Also, gelatin is a fining used after all fermentation is complete to remove stubborn yeast and some proteins. if you cooked the cranberries you would want to add pectic enzyme to knock out the pectin haze that the cranberries will leave. However in a weizen haze isn't an issue, lack of haze is so don't do that.

pull the airlock, replace temporarily with sanitized foil or plastic wrap, clean well and replace. if it's still blowing lots of foam you could put a blow off rig on for a few days instead of replacing the airlock
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce