Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Crashing, Fining, Maturation  (Read 1523 times)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Cold Crashing, Fining, Maturation
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:05:10 am »
Perhaps a stupid question, but here it goes.

I just changed my fermentation capacity with dedicated freezers and conicals. While I generally use kettle finings, I often will also use gelatin after kegging to ensure very bright beer - especially for those that will go to competition. I now have the ability to cold crash to below freezing (if needed) and extended lagering in bulk in the fermenter, and can also drop the yeast and trub as needed.

After cold crashing an IPA yesterday (8 days primary and at FG), I am wondering if there is benefit to fining the bulk beer in the fermenter as opposed to waiting to condition/lager in the keg. This IPA is certainly not yet clear, and gelatin would likely floc out the yeast and hop particles (and perhaps some of the hop character)... I also assume that cold haze will also form and settle with the rest. Thinking holding this for 3-4 days at 32F, using gelatin for 48 hours - then transfer.

Thoughts? Will this allow the beer to 'mature' more quickly? Less concerned about a very hoppy IPA than say a future more malt forward beer.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Cold Crashing, Fining, Maturation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:17:53 am »
I had been using gelatin in the crashing fermenter (on beers I felt could use it) until recently when I changed over to Biofine Clear. It's easier to use and gets used the same way as gelatin - ie., chill the beer thoroughly then add. Like you mentioned, I feel gelatin will strip away a little hop character. I used to account for that by upping the late hops a tad, but I don't feel I need to as much with the Biofine.
 I don't know about 'mature more quickly' per se, but it will definitely clear it out quicker for sure. Though being able to crash below freezing is almost like fining itself on a lot of beers. Drops them pretty clear for me.
Jon H.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:10:23 pm »
I haven't tried Biofine Clear, will have to take a look at it. I did pick up some SuperKleer which is an accelerated isinglass product. Used it on some cider, and a sour with really nice results and it works quickly. Gelatin is just super cheap... pennies versus dollars to the SK product.

Do you feel chilling so cold will help the chill haze to precip more quickly? This batch will be a bit of a test - 12 gallons at 32F for 5 days. I plan to pull yeast/trub at the end of that time - I can compare to the yeast pulled at 7 days at 68F. So prolly best to not pitch a fining agent until after that pull.

Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:30:54 am »
I haven't tried Biofine Clear, will have to take a look at it. I did pick up some SuperKleer which is an accelerated isinglass product. Used it on some cider, and a sour with really nice results and it works quickly. Gelatin is just super cheap... pennies versus dollars to the SK product.

Do you feel chilling so cold will help the chill haze to precip more quickly? This batch will be a bit of a test - 12 gallons at 32F for 5 days. I plan to pull yeast/trub at the end of that time - I can compare to the yeast pulled at 7 days at 68F. So prolly best to not pitch a fining agent until after that pull.

It drops the yeast and proteins quicker IMO. Crashing that cold supposedly encourages the proteins to clump together into bigger (therefore heavier) clumps and drop out. I just know that all the beers I've crashed that cold get very clear quicker.
Jon H.