Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I now officially hate UPS  (Read 5001 times)

narvin

Re: I now officially hate UPS
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 07:31:02 pm »

You can't tax gifts. 

False, but there is an annual exclusion amount for gifts.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 07:33:40 pm »

You can't tax gifts. 

Also, when it comes to sins, normal rules don't apply.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »
Just to assess blame where blame is due - this is a UPS Store. Which, FTR - I'll never go in one again. The woman was very quick (and, coincidentally correct) to jump to conclusions on what was in my package by examining my attire and then asking questions. She went a little "over the top police woman" on the gig. She wanted to find a reason to open and not ship my package.

To make matters worse, the Prick (with a capitol P) on the phone when I tried to ascertain what became of my property was all too gleeful when he found out they didn't ship because "It contained alcohol" (complete with a snarky little chuckle.) Guy was a REAL ass hole. And, quite frankly, I told him so. Which I'm not completely proud of. Just sayin'.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 08:29:53 pm »

You can't tax gifts. 

OK, I'll give you that.  But that doesn't explain any different treatment of alcohol for shipping reasons.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 08:49:43 pm »

You can't tax gifts. 

OK, I'll give you that.  But that doesn't explain any different treatment of alcohol for shipping reasons.
Why can't we make booze (legally)? Why can't we buy pot at a corner store (outside of Colorado and Washington)? Why is Jack Daniels made in a county where it can't be sold. Why can't I buy booze on Sunday only until 9:00pm on other days, and at a special store. Because nobody wants to let us have a good time. And if they do let us, they will be sure to take their cut.

Shipping companies would gladly accept our shipments if it was easily done. Liquids weigh a lot and therefor carry a hefty charge especially over the counter rates. But for whatever multitude of reasons, it's too much of a PIA and they just put out a blanket "no" policy.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:51 pm »
To make matters worse, the Prick (with a capitol P) on the phone when I tried to ascertain what became of my property was all too gleeful when he found out they didn't ship because "It contained alcohol" (complete with a snarky little chuckle.) Guy was a REAL ass hole. And, quite frankly, I told him so. Which I'm not completely proud of. Just sayin'.

I had a UPS drone on the phone tell me to "go look in the bushes" when I inquired about a package that hadn't arrived, but they claimed to have delivered. As far as they were concerned, the driver had delivered it to my house, so tough cookies.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 02:07:48 am »

I had a UPS drone on the phone tell me to "go look in the bushes" when I inquired about a package that hadn't arrived, but they claimed to have delivered. As far as they were concerned, the driver had delivered it to my house, so tough cookies.
I ran into something similar once. I ordered a package, and the tracking info said "left with child at front door". The house I was living in at the time had neither a front door nor a child. UPS couldn't do anything about it, and I needed the shipper to initiate a claim - I couldn't do it.

On top of it all, it was a bunch of pocketknives that I was planning on giving my buddies for Christmas. Hope the kid had fun after he opened up that box...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 05:34:48 am »
I have too many bad UPS stories from my days as service manager at a clone PC company to count.  Fed Ex was no better to deal with and don't even ask about companies like DHL.  :o

3 years ago we ordered a high end laptop for my son who is at ISU for civil engineering.  I was notified it was delivered and "Left at front door".  Seemed strange since I was working from home and my desk has a direct view of the front door.  Long story, short, the driver delivered the package 2 blocks east.  Then came to our house 4 times asking us to sign a statement that the package wasn't delivered.  He was supposed to be  going to the house he delivered it to, not ours.  It took UPS 2 days to lose Mike's laptop and 2 weeks to admit they had had lost it.  It was a total cluster.

One great FedEx story.  We shipped a new PC/Monitor to a customer via FedEx.  The FedEx driver lost control of his rig and put the trailer in a river in Colorado.  A month later I receive the shipment back with an insurance claim that was denied due to "Improper Packaging".  The PC had a fish in the box when I opened it up.  :o  I was able to get that claim paid in the end. 

I never did get paid for the system with 2 sets of tandem trailer tire tracks on the box.  It seemed our packaging was supposed to be able to survive being run over by one of their trucks.

I feel your pain man.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 08:53:36 am »
I believe there is a business account with UPS and/or FedEx that allows for alcohol shipments. I have had both wine and beer shipped by UPS where they obviously knew it was alcohol because they asked for an ID when they delivered it. I don't know whether it is cost prohibitive to use that option but it must be out there.

I used to work for a company where we would sometimes send checks by UPS. There were some terrible stories about UPS and how bad of a job they do. The worst was probably when the UPS driver walked into a grocery store, handed the check to somebody and walked out. Mind you, this check was supposed to go to a residential address. Fortunately the guy who took the check knew who it belonged to and the right person got his check.

I've had problems with FedEx, too. Now I send a lot of packages through my business and unless I send something by personal carrier or process server I only use USPS. I've only had one package get lost (but it was eventually sorted out) but I will take the occasional incompetence of the people on the phone at USPS over the dickish attitude plus incompetence at UPS or FedEx. That doesn't help with the alcohol shipments though...
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 08:57:22 am »
I always have my packages shipped to work. They know where it is and the people from the front office put a note up letting me know I have a package. I'm often putting yeast and hops in the fridge at work. My experience with UPS and the post office has been quite good. I'm actually pretty impressed given the numbers their dealing with.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 09:10:26 am »
My UPS driver has delivered boxes that were leaking beer out of them..great guy!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 11:47:06 am »
My UPS driver has delivered boxes that were leaking beer out of them..great guy!

tis a different breed up in Oregon, one would think  ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 01:16:30 pm »

tis a different breed up in Oregon, one would think  ;D

Yep.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 01:31:19 pm »
I always have my packages shipped to work. They know where it is and the people from the front office put a note up letting me know I have a package. I'm often putting yeast and hops in the fridge at work. My experience with UPS and the post office has been quite good. I'm actually pretty impressed given the numbers their dealing with.

FTR: They didn't lose my package. They opened it at the "UPS Store" and refused to deliver it. Refused to contact me about it and then acted like real pricks when I called in looking for it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 02:20:03 pm »
FTR: They didn't lose my package. They opened it at the "UPS Store" and refused to deliver it. Refused to contact me about it and then acted like real pricks when I called in looking for it.

I think they up-charge you at the UPS store. I maybe wrong, but that's been my experience. Maybe it was Mailboxes Etc. though and not the UPS store. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton