Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what happens when you give a blond too much banana  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
what happens when you give a blond too much banana
« on: October 13, 2014, 01:50:19 pm »
 :o ok got your attention

anyway, first time using wyest 1214 for my belgian blond. wyeast has 68-78F and that seems crazy, but i had left for the evening and my temp slowly rose from 67F to 76F (all in the first 24hrs).

i can certainly smell the banana and im hoping i dont taste as much as i smell- - crap crap crap hopefully it doesnt taste too bad.

i presume this yeast would be best at 65-68F - any regular users of this yeast experienced 65-68 vs mid 70's?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: what happens when you give a blond too much banana
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:55:47 pm »

anyway, first time using wyest 1214 for my belgian blond. wyeast has 68-78F and that seems crazy, but i had left for the evening and my temp slowly rose from 67F to 76F (all in the first 24hrs).

i can certainly smell the banana and im hoping i dont taste as much as i smell- - crap crap crap hopefully it doesnt taste too bad.

i presume this yeast would be best at 65-68F - any regular users of this yeast experienced 65-68 vs mid 70's?

I wish you the best - the first time I used it I had a similar temp spike (fridge died) and ended up with a pretty banana forward beer. It has a nice plum thing at 64-65F, but 76F could be a banana bomb. I hope not.

EDIT  - Nice thread title  :)
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 01:58:38 pm »

I wish you the best - the first time I used it I had a similar temp spike (fridge died) and ended up with a pretty banana forward beer. It has a nice plum thing at 64-65F, but 76F could be a banana bomb. I hope not.

EDIT  - Nice thread title  :)

yes afraid im going to have more of a high tes 7.2% abv hefeweizen tasting beer
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
I have heard many others complain of too much banana with that yeast.  From what I've gathered, this yeast needs to stay in mid-60s for the first half of fermentation to avoid the banana bomb.  It should mellow with age though.  Give it 3 months and it will fade.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 02:11:50 pm »
I have heard many others complain of too much banana with that yeast.  From what I've gathered, this yeast needs to stay in mid-60s for the first half of fermentation to avoid the banana bomb.  It should mellow with age though.  Give it 3 months and it will fade.

seems so. i figure worst case, the chicks in my neighborhood beer drinking circle love a good banana beer, so it should disappear fairly fast.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:41:41 pm »
My wife loves that Wells Banana Bread beer, so I can see the ladies going for a banana-y flavor profile, regardless of the color of their hair!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 03:48:22 pm »
Not to be too much of a wet blanket but I have to share my extreme annoyance with the 'girls like fruity beer' stereotype.

The majority of women that i know who like beer like beer. hoppy beer, malty beer, german beer, belgian beer, IPAs, IIPAs, barley wines. you name it. I have also run into a surprising number of guys who don't care for anything more challenging than a coors light or an american wheat beer when they are feeling extra adventurous. These guys find a nice blueberry pale ale (assuming it's not too hoppy) just the treat.

I understand the desire for a shorthand for 'folks that only like fruity beers' but does it have to be based in sexism?

you may now return to your normal banter.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 04:46:57 pm »
Not to be too much of a wet blanket but I have to share my extreme annoyance with the 'girls like fruity beer' stereotype.

The majority of women that i know who like beer like beer. hoppy beer, malty beer, german beer, belgian beer, IPAs, IIPAs, barley wines. you name it. I have also run into a surprising number of guys who don't care for anything more challenging than a coors light or an american wheat beer when they are feeling extra adventurous. These guys find a nice blueberry pale ale (assuming it's not too hoppy) just the treat.

I understand the desire for a shorthand for 'folks that only like fruity beers' but does it have to be based in sexism?

you may now return to your normal banter.

not a slam or sexism-just the facts in my circle...that's why i said in my circle of friends :)
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 04:52:18 pm »

That is the truth. I know/have known a lot of women who thought that they hated beer based on BMC type swill, but realized that they love craft beer. They're more open to it than guys who spent decades drinking crap and have a hard time straying too far from the most inoffensive craft beer styles.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »
My lady hates hoppy beers. Too bad that is what I am into right now. Loves most other styles, but will only drink something hoppy if it is the only option.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »
My lady is also a fan of almost everything I put in front of her. IPA's are her one dislike. She has come a long way from her strictly coors light days of just 4 short years ago. I also have several friends that I can't drag away from BMC flavored water

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 05:06:43 pm »
........Yeah, except for my wife of course  ;D   She'd be a teetotaler if hoppy beers were the only alcohol around. She will drink one or two of anything else I brew, but given the choice she'd rather I brewed nothing but fruit beers. Can't abide, though I'll make her 2 or 3 /year.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 05:12:24 pm »

........Yeah, except for my wife of course  ;D   She'd be a teetotaler if hoppy beers were the only alcohol around. She will drink one or two of anything else I brew, but given the choice she'd rather I brewed nothing but fruit beers. Can't abide, though I'll make her 2 or 3 /year.
+1 bro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 05:17:29 pm »

and I will say, my wife has grown fond of my pale ale with centennial and citra. The hops giving a nice citrus attribute seems to appeal to those less inclined for hoppy beers- myself included.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 05:56:47 pm »

and I will say, my wife has grown fond of my pale ale with centennial and citra. The hops giving a nice citrus attribute seems to appeal to those less inclined for hoppy beers- myself included.

Yeah, I regrettably made a 'fruit bomb' pale ale once, in an attempt to get my wife to like hops. She actually drank 2 or 3 and said she loved the aroma but the flavor was 'ok'. However it was way too fruity for me so I had to have some friends over to help me kill it. I know I used Citra along with either Calypso or El Dorado. Not again.

EDIT  -   I do like Citra blended with stuff like Centennial, Columbus, etc. Just don't care for multiple fruity hops together without a balance.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:04:39 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.