Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB water  (Read 2309 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
BIAB water
« on: October 13, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »
Up to this point, I've only used distilled water for my extract brews. Any suggestions on what to use for my first All-Grain?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: BIAB water
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:42:17 pm »
that's a good start.

download bru'n water and get some salts (calcium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, and baking soda or pickly lime) and some liquid 88% lactic acid.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jmsetzler

• Cellarman
    • Beer Before Noon
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »
I guess I have been lucky... I have never used anything but tap water for my beers :)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:56:00 am »
I guess I have been lucky... I have never used anything but tap water for my beers :)

You may be blessed with great tap water, but even with great soft water from the tap, you should eliminate chlorine or chloramine, if present, by using a Campden tablet treatment.  As you go all grain, water content becomes much more critical to get the right pH of the mash.  Once the mash pH is in the correct range, Al grain beer is improved significantly.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jmsetzler

• Cellarman
    • Beer Before Noon
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 07:32:49 am »

You may be blessed with great tap water, but even with great soft water from the tap, you should eliminate chlorine or chloramine, if present, by using a Campden tablet treatment.  As you go all grain, water content becomes much more critical to get the right pH of the mash.  Once the mash pH is in the correct range, Al grain beer is improved significantly.

I guess I lied.  I do use the 5.2 mash stabilizer in my mash...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:37:42 am »
save yourself a couple bucks and leave the 5.2 out. it only works on a very specific water profile anyway and unless you know what's in your water to start with you're just shooting in the dark anyway.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 08:45:13 am »

I've yet to find anybody who has checked on their ph and found it really hits 5.2 with that product but if your beer tastes good with it then that is the more salient test.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jmsetzler

• Cellarman
    • Beer Before Noon
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:06 am »

I've yet to find anybody who has checked on their ph and found it really hits 5.2 with that product but if your beer tastes good with it then that is the more salient test.

I haven't had any issues with flavors and the ph does hit 5.2-5.3 consistently.  I have a cheap PH meter I bought to verify my Starsan.  I'd like to buy a carbon filter of some sort to prepare water.  Maybe I'll buy some water for my next brew and see if I can detect any variations.

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:29:22 am »

I'd like to buy a carbon filter of some sort to prepare water.  Maybe I'll buy some water for my next brew and see if I can detect any variations.

This is what I use for filtering water, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Filter-with-Hose/14504321
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.