Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 sets off CO detectors  (Read 2365 times)

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
CO2 sets off CO detectors
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:05:44 pm »
Our carbon monoxide detector went off today. After much checking by the fire department the problem was traced to a leaking regulator on my CO2 tank. (It was on while carbonating a keg.) The regulator was leaking out the front, almost certainly due to a failed diaphragm. One of the fire fighters used to install soda systems, so he knew CO2 would set off the alarm, and recommended where to check the regulator. I didn't have a soap solution premade, but a Star San spray bottle worked quite well as a leak detector. Once I took the tank outside the monitor he had dropped quickly.

The firemen were professional, friendly, and extremely curious about the brewery. I have a red rye fermenting right now. It's a new recipe, but if it turns out OK I think I'll take a case down to the station to say thanks.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: CO2 sets off CO detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:21:57 pm »
Thanks for the info, Rob. Glad everyone and all are OK.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 06:24:18 pm »
Never knew that. Thanks for the info.
Jon H.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 12:31:27 pm »
Our carbon monoxide detector went off today. After much checking by the fire department the problem was traced to a leaking regulator on my CO2 tank. (It was on while carbonating a keg.) The regulator was leaking out the front, almost certainly due to a failed diaphragm. One of the fire fighters used to install soda systems, so he knew CO2 would set off the alarm, and recommended where to check the regulator. I didn't have a soap solution premade, but a Star San spray bottle worked quite well as a leak detector. Once I took the tank outside the monitor he had dropped quickly.

The firemen were professional, friendly, and extremely curious about the brewery. I have a red rye fermenting right now. It's a new recipe, but if it turns out OK I think I'll take a case down to the station to say thanks.

Very interesting.  I guess those detectors don't know the difference between Co2, and CO.