Author Topic: Brewer Bio: John Setzler  (Read 1528 times)

Offline jmsetzler

• Cellarman
    • Beer Before Noon
Brewer Bio: John Setzler
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:29:32 AM »

Greetings to the forum!

Brewer: John Setzler
I have been a homebrewer since 1994

Back in the mid 90's I had a friend who kept hounding me to stop drinking Coors Light and try some real beer!  I finally caved in and accepted an invitation from him to a Sunday morning homebrewing session in his back yard.  That Sunday morning changed my life as far as beer is concerned.  It became a twice a month event.  We would always brew 5 gallons of something and taste quite a few previous brews throughout the brew day.  It was the only time and place I ever drank beer before noon. 

After several months of this ritual, I decided I had learned enough to try it on my own.  I was really hooked after my first homebrew which was my "Third Stone from the Sun Stout."  The beer name just came from the background music I was enjoying while I was cooking beer on my stovetop in my apartment! 

I spent quite a few years making nothing but malt extract recipes.  As time and money permitted, I started putting together equipment do make all-grain recipes.  I wish I had started this much earlier in my homebrewing career.  It made significant improvements to the variety and character of beers I could produce on my own.  Most recently, I have started upgrading most of my older equipment as shown in the photo above.  I added a nice Blichmann BoilerMaker brew kettle, the EdelMetall Bru Burner, SS Brewtech stainless steel "Brew Bucket" conical fermenter, and a chest freezer with a temperature controller to use as a fermentation chamber. 

I am an original member of our local "Catawba Lager & Ale Sampling Society" homebrewing club.  This club, in conjunction with a local brewery, holds a Pro-Am every spring and I have been blessed with three medals out of the six beers I have entered into that competition.  With some of my new equipment and processes, I hope to take my brewing to the next level and prove to be a serious competitor in that competition.

Prost!

John Setzler

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Brewer Bio: John Setzler
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Great to have another seasoned home brewer around to help out us rookies!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron)
Conditioning: BVIP (thanx Denny)
In keg: Traquair House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  Czech Dark Lager, American Pale Ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Brewer Bio: John Setzler
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
welcome indeed. nice kit.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce