Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aged spirits in a week  (Read 1157 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Aged spirits in a week
« on: April 26, 2015, 12:23:10 pm »
This was a very interesting read. I don't see technology like this necessarily replacing traditional aged spirits, but it certainly would provide an avenue to enable new distillers to get into the picture a lot more easily:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/lost-spirits/
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Aged spirits in a week
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:41:53 pm »
Pretty interesting. I'd read references to this, but without much detail. It'll be interesting to see what kind of impact it has on the industry. Like you say, it could be huge for start up distilleries. Or others.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:42 am »
If he figured it out as a hobbyist with the help of a biochemist then he has to know the larger distilleries and other players in the market will have no trouble replicating his efforts--if they really work.

The problem with looking at merely the oak compounds in the spirit is that it ignores some of the other processes involved. Maybe it hits all the right notes so well that it either legitimately emulates aged spirits or emulates them so well the difference will be impossible to overlook for the majority of buyers. OTOH it could be like liquid smoke: tastes like smoke initially but quickly devolves into a fake chemical taste.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 05:17:11 pm »
This is NOT the first system touted to age spirits really quickly. However, his Lost Spirits products have gotten quite good reviews (disclaimer - I haven't had the chance to try them myself) so I'd be a little more inclined to give a try to his products made with this system.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:44:56 am »
I'm sure it makes for an interesting product... I'm also sure it's not the equivalent of aging long term on wood.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"