Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does Briess mix crystal malts?  (Read 4143 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Does Briess mix crystal malts?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:32 am »
Drum roadsters are said to give more uniform product than using a kiln.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 09:25:44 pm »
Supposedly you can chew them and taste the difference.  I can't say that my palate is sensitive enough....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 10:33:16 am »
If C-40 was as simple as blend of C-20 and C-60, why have it at all? If recipes call for a lb of C-40, why not just call out the 1/2lb each of C-20 and C-60. Sounds like a story made up by the LHBS.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 10:35:25 am »
If C-40 was as simple as blend of C-20 and C-60, why have it at all? If recipes call for a lb of C-40, why not just call out the 1/2lb each of C-20 and C-60. Sounds like a story made up by the LHBS.

Yup.
Jon H.

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 11:02:53 am »
I received a few crystal malts from an on-line retailer a couple days ago.  The first thing I noticed was the the Briess crystal 40 they sent me was noticeably darker than the british crystal 50/60 that I received. Thought it was strange, so when I went to add them to my stock I noticed that the Briess crystal 40 was indistinguishable visually from the great western crystal 60 that I had, and definitely much darker than the crystal 40 that I had.  Figured they were merely just mislabeled. I wonder with all the malts and hops being packaged how often this happens. It did not happen according to them.

According to the on line supplier," they have just recently switched to a new supplier and each maltster has a SIGNIFICANTLY different product labeled crystal 40".  So now the Lovibond rating is unique to each maltster as well??

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 03:54:39 pm »
I received a few crystal malts from an on-line retailer a couple days ago.  The first thing I noticed was the the Briess crystal 40 they sent me was noticeably darker than the british crystal 50/60 that I received. Thought it was strange, so when I went to add them to my stock I noticed that the Briess crystal 40 was indistinguishable visually from the great western crystal 60 that I had, and definitely much darker than the crystal 40 that I had.  Figured they were merely just mislabeled. I wonder with all the malts and hops being packaged how often this happens. It did not happen according to them.

According to the on line supplier," they have just recently switched to a new supplier and each maltster has a SIGNIFICANTLY different product labeled crystal 40".  So now the Lovibond rating is unique to each maltster as well??
Yes, they are different Lovibond for specialty malts. Go to 2010 and open the specialty malts presentation by Kuhl.

http://www.ahaconference.org/conference/past-presentations/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 10:26:34 am »
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­