Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/23 Edition  (Read 8179 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/23 Edition
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 01:00:21 pm »
I'm about 15 minutes into the mash on a saison - finally going to try that 3711.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 03:39:06 pm »
Ok, the rochefort was off on the numbers a little I hit 1.070 and was trying for .060
whould be beer if the yeast can surmount the sugar. I gave it wyeast nutrient and
plenty of pure O2.... maybe it will ferment out good....dunno.

I am into the mash on a barleywine.  This will be a long brew day but I plan to get em
both into the fermenters.
 :-\
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 07:19:16 pm »
Did my "Ent Draught" last night.  Kind of a souped up APA or a low gravity IPA, but with lots of nice Centennial and Columbus.  Smelled wonderful and I tried out a new mash tun. 

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »
I think I may brew an Oberon clone on Sunday.  I've got a nice culture of Oberon yeast just waiting for it.
What's your recipe? There's an outline in Brewing with Wheat but I haven't worked one out yet. Stan says they use their house yeast in that beer, which surprised me.

My recipe is based on data that was originally published in Zymurgy several years ago and information directly from a brewer at Bells.  The only real difference in my "clone" is that I sub Magnum hops for the bittering addition in order to economize my hop supply.  I hear that Bells has been using Sterling in Oberon for the last few years though.
Thanks, I might have to give that a try.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »
Just got done brewing my IPA with a little twist.  I'm trying out some Zeus hops as well as White Labs Clarity Ferm.  So far it's has a very nice nose on it and a very nice bitter to it, so I'm hoping it turns out great.  Racked my Strong Scotch off of primary as well.  After two weeks it's come down to 1.030 from 1.123 and it doesn't have near the racing fuel taste I thought it was going to have.  I'm also carbonating my Nut Brown which should be ready tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited. All in all a great day, and hell even the weather cooperated.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline marty

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:45 am »
also made Denny's Rye kit from Northern Brewer, that 1450 is certainly a fast fermenter

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 11:23:00 am »
I'm about 15 minutes into the mash on a saison - finally going to try that 3711.
Well I give high marks for that yeast. It will prolly be my Saison goto yeast of choice
from now on...unless....they get a vss that I can't resist....I also liked 3726 only
the high temps were kind of appalling...but the end was yummo good.

Edit:changed 3724 to 3726....BIG difference. I did not care for the "sour apple" of 3724.
so to avoid this confusion in the future, it will be 3711 and I will like it!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:20:07 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:45 am »
I recently brewed 10 gallons of Saison.  Split batched and pitched Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) into 5 gallons, and Wyeast 3724 (Belgian SaisonTM) into 5 gallons.  After primary fermentation, I split again into 2.5 gallon batches and did 2.5 gallons of each unspiced, and 2.5 gallons of each w Grains of Paradise, Malabar peppercorns, Star Anise, Juniper Berries, and peels of Lemons, Limes, and Grapefruits.  The aromas were amazing--I looked forward to depressurizing the corny kegs each day (Used the kegs as secondary fermenters).

The 3711 ferments fast and drops clear (temps 70-74 F); the Wyeast website lists 77-83% attenuation, and low flocculation.
The 3724 ferments slower, gets stuck around SG 1.035, and glacially drifts down (like 0.010 points per week or two) at temps in the mid 70's.  It remains cloudy ("mit hefe") and has not dropped clear, yet (and it has been nearly a month).  The Wyeast website lists 76-80% attenuation, and low flocculation.  Interestingly, it seems to recommend a higher temp range (70-95 F).

Both are good tasting up until bottling.  The real test comes in a few weeks when others will judge the beer in competition.
I'll let you know if some miracle has occurred within the bottle.
All other things being equal, I prefer the 3711 since it ferments quickly and drops clear, while the 3724 does not.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:46:03 am by richardt »