Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle conitioning a 10 abv Baltic Porter.  (Read 2646 times)

Offline BEER SPONGE

• 1st Kit
Bottle conitioning a 10 abv Baltic Porter.
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:49:11 am »
Hi people. Looking to brew my 2nd 10% abv Imperial Honey Porter. I kegged the first batch but plan on bottling the next one. All went well with the first one, I primaried for 3 weeks, secondary for 4weeks, then served with only 6 days in the keg.
I plan to bottle condition a 2nd batch but have read that larger ABV beers don't bottle condition very well  because the yeast is stressed.
Target OG 1.090 and FG should be 1.015. I will be fermenting with 2 pkgs US05.
What are your suggestions for bottle conditioning this bad boy?

Thanks

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Bottle conitioning a 10 abv Baltic Porter.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 05:22:04 pm »
I've bottled with the primary yeast on beers that big but sometimes they take a while to carbonate. Nowadays I prefer adding some neutral wine yeast at bottling as an insurance policy. I have never had a problem getting full and fast carbonation that way.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:24:55 am »
You should be OK without any extra yeast as long as you're patient. It doesn't hurt to add a little extra at bottling as an insurance policy if you'd like. But you need way less than you think you do. One or two grams of US-05 at bottling is all that you need for a 5-gallon batch. If you use too much yeast you will get a lot of trub in your bottles.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 03:51:33 pm »
You should be OK without any extra yeast as long as you're patient. It doesn't hurt to add a little extra at bottling as an insurance policy if you'd like. But you need way less than you think you do. One or two grams of US-05 at bottling is all that you need for a 5-gallon batch. If you use too much yeast you will get a lot of trub in your bottles.

+1
When I bottle condition, usually at 70oF, an average beer takes 10-14 days. The big beers, 8-10% usually can take at least 6-8 weeks under the same conditions without adding yeast. IME, the bigger beers need the additional time anyways simply to condition and mellow, sometimes as long as 3-5 months when they really shine:)

I brewed a Belgian Quad in July for the Holidays this year, 10%, just sampled a bottle a few days ago to see how it was coming along, needs a bit more time but tasted delicious, be patient and you'll be rewarded!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »
I really like Lalvin EC-1118 dry champagne yeast for this purpose.  The packets (5g) are only $1 at the LHBS and the strain is very neutral with a high alcohol tolerance as well as able to function in a low pH environment.  Both of those make it well worth it! 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 04:31:06 pm »

This ^^^^   I have not had any real problems getting big beers to carbonate.  Patience is all you need.  Maybe instead of getting carbonation at about 2 weeks, it will take a full month.  It will still work.  Since you've fermented for nearly 2 months though, it might not be a bad idea to add a couple of ounces of fresh US-05 as insurance.  Not a full pack but just a sprinkle is all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:49:42 pm »
I add extra yeast to 10%+ beers every time due to one batch that failed to carbonate. Beer is still awesome and after 4 years still flat as the day it was bottled.

I throw in half a pack of lavin champagne as it is only $0.75 and I don't mind tossing the rest. Worth the hassle in my opinion.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:35:26 pm »

This ^^^^   I have not had any real problems getting big beers to carbonate.  Patience is all you need.  Maybe instead of getting carbonation at about 2 weeks, it will take a full month.  It will still work.  Since you've fermented for nearly 2 months though, it might not be a bad idea to add a couple of ounces grams of fresh US-05 as insurance.  Not a full pack but just a sprinkle is all.
Fixed. Unless you like drinking yeast sludge...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:26:27 pm »
Oh yeah, thanks.  They knew what I meant (right?!).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.