Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew kettle issue  (Read 3203 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Brew kettle issue
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:45:01 am »
I'm cleaning out my Polar Ware brew kettle (10 gallon) for the first time and there is a lot of grey stuff rubbing off when I wash with a sponge. Initially thought it was dirt but even w a wet paper towel there is a lot of it. Any clue what this is?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Brew kettle issue
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 12:56:08 pm »
Is it steel or aluminum?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:26:29 pm »
SS, looked online apparently normal. Wiped off with a wet paper towel.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:06:55 pm »
Sounds like grime from manufacturing. Keep wiping. Do a test boil with plain water. RDWHAHB
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:06:15 pm »
Soap or pbw

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Brew kettle issue
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:45:11 am »
Never did a test boil, ended up eventually wiping clean with repeated swipes of a sponge and paper towel. In the back of my (OCD) mind, I fear that I'll be drinking a lead filled beer!
On a side note, I called Polar Ware about this and someone told me it was from my water, come on...

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:01 am »
Was it one of these http://www.midwestsupplies.com/heavy-duty-stainless-steel-brew-pot-10-gallon.html

I got one of those and went through the same process. I cleaned mine up with vinegar. I figured since it was a brushed finish it was a by product of the manufacturing process. There shouldn't be any lead in it. It is steel.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 11:51:41 am »
Most metal stretching companies use a white/opaque liquid lubricant when forming their pots.  this can become mixed with metal flakes.  it was probably what you where wiping out of your kettle when you cleaned it for the first time.  As long as you cleaned your pot well with some sort of basic degreasing agent ala soap, you should be fine.  I would recommend getting a small jug of PBW to use on any new stainless items:D
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Brew kettle issue
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:03:19 pm »
Was it one of these http://www.midwestsupplies.com/heavy-duty-stainless-steel-brew-pot-10-gallon.html

I got one of those and went through the same process. I cleaned mine up with vinegar. I figured since it was a brushed finish it was a by product of the manufacturing process. There shouldn't be any lead in it. It is steel.
Similar, this one...
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/polar-ware-stainless-steel-brewing-pot-10-gallon.html

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 01:59:48 pm »
Most metal stretching companies use a white/opaque liquid lubricant when forming their pots.  this can become mixed with metal flakes.  it was probably what you where wiping out of your kettle when you cleaned it for the first time.  As long as you cleaned your pot well with some sort of basic degreasing agent ala soap, you should be fine.  I would recommend getting a small jug of PBW to use on any new stainless items:D
That was my thought. Many metal products have a film after manufacturing.  It is probably washed off of consumer products when the customer might examine it before purchase, but possibly not for an online purchase.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 02:05:44 pm »
Bumping this old thread that I started because I've had the same issue with another US manufactured SS pot. Anyone else seeing this on new pots? That's what I get buying American!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 02:51:20 pm »
I consider it normal when buying "industrial" level equipment. The film is leftovers form the manufacturing process.  I wash everything I buy to prepare food in before using it so it's never seemed like a big deal to me.

It's the same as when you buy steel for a welding project, it will come soaked in oil.  You have to clean it all before you can finish it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 03:15:16 pm »
I've had the same thing with new kegs.  Just clean them before you use them and all is good.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton