Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tweaking RIS recipe for a bourbon barrel  (Read 2893 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Tweaking RIS recipe for a bourbon barrel
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »
I have some candidate recipes for a RIS for aging in a bourbon barrel.  The recipes were developed for non-barrel-aged RISs.   I'm thinking of aging for 6-9 months during which time approx 5-7.5% of the beer will evaporate.  Does it make sense to plan on a RIS that is drier to compensate for a boost in gravity due to  evaporation ?  Are there any principles for tweaking a recipe RIS recipe for bourbon barrel aging?

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Re: Tweaking RIS recipe for a bourbon barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:14:01 pm »
I brewed extra and corny kegged it with the intent to use the extra to make up for the angels share.

I believe that is what they call the losses you are speaking about.

I have also used commercial beer to keep a wooden vessel full.  In the end it did not seem to matter
a whole lot either way.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:06:14 am »
I also brewed extra, and used it to back fill for angels share and tastings.  I had a freshly dumped 32 gallon whiskey barrel, and used the stout recipe from Big Brew.  The beer is now packaged and aging until just after Thanksgiving.  Although we have one keg were tasting each week during the Seahawk games. 

I've been brewing for about 12 years, and started a nano about two years ago. This is simply the best beer I have ever brewed. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:09:58 am »
I also brewed extra, and used it to back fill for angels share and tastings.  I had a freshly dumped 32 gallon whiskey barrel, and used the stout recipe from Big Brew.  The beer is now packaged and aging until just after Thanksgiving.  Although we have one keg were tasting each week during the Seahawk games. 

I've been brewing for about 12 years, and started a nano about two years ago. This is simply the best beer I have ever brewed. 

Sounds great, especially on a chilly fall or winter night.  It's the REAL winter warmer !
Jon H.