Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conditioning in flip top growlers  (Read 1096 times)

Offline medley55

• 1st Kit
  • "Whatever you do, take care of your brew."
Conditioning in flip top growlers
« on: October 18, 2014, 05:46:27 am »

I have a batch of Midwest Pumpkin Ale conditioning in growlers like the one pictured above.  I kept the process the same as if I was using 12oz bottles, am I looking at problems with carbonation?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Conditioning in flip top growlers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:33:22 am »
I cannot speak to the strength of your personal bottles, but I've been bottle conditioning in swingtops for years, and have put 3V hefeweizens in them, and out of thousands have never lost a single bottle (knock on wood). Have never bottled anything "wild" or any saison in them, but pretty much everything else.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 06:49:41 am »
I have a couple cases of swing tops. How long do you think they hold carbonation in your experience? How about oxydation?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:53:38 am »
They've worked well for me for a long time. They hold carbonation well if you change the rubber seal periodically. My LHBS sells bags of the seals for a buck or two. I haven't had any oxidation issues with them, but I use a beer gun and purge the bottles first. Got sick of capping.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:02:27 am »
I have dozens of grolsch bottles I've gotten at yard sales. Like Hoosier says, if you replace the rubber seals when needed their great. I'm actually surprised at how well they seal after using them so many times. The quality of the metal hinge is actually quite good for a type of commercial packaging.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:03:31 am »
I might try mine again. I bought them very early on. Used once. It was a stout and some were gushers and some were flat. Three guesses what probably caused that. At the time I blamed swing toos LOL. Shortly after that I went to kegs.