Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Went shopping  (Read 2534 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Went shopping
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:25:58 pm »
Fuller ESB and London Pride, Westmalle Tripel, Belhaven Scottish, and a six pack of plain old Weihenstephan Pilsner. It's going to be a good weekend!!!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Went shopping
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:37:07 pm »
They had Orkney Dark Island and I totally spaced that it's the #1 example. Crud

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:41:35 pm »
Fuller ESB and London Pride, Westmalle Tripel, Belhaven Scottish, and a six pack of plain old Weihenstephan Pilsner. It's going to be a good weekend!!!

Great haul!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 03:36:42 pm »
They had Orkney Dark Island and I totally spaced that it's the #1 example. Crud

I'm Scottish so I'm biased, but Dark Island is an excellent brew (I had it on cask back in Glasgow one time!). It's better young though so check the dates. Their Red MacGregor is a really nice hoppy red, and the Dragonhead stout is nice too. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:45:03 pm »
What's the date on the Fullers beers? Honestly, the ESB still tastes fantastic past its prime, but it's a night and day difference if you can get a fresh sample. That is a killer haul, by the way. Your taste buds are getting spoiled this weekend!

I just got a mix-a-six myself tonight. Here in RI you can only get beer in liquor stores. I was just over the line in CT at a supermarket and was surprised when I saw a decent mix-a-six section. I got three brews from Connecticut breweries I've never even heard of, plus Sam IPL, Batch 19, and Blue Point Octoberfest. I've been meaning to try the Batch 19, but never found it available as a single until tonight.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 02:11:49 am »
The Fullers is out in the shop fridge, I'll check dates when I try those. Enjoying the Belhaven tonight. The bottle is nice but the clear glass didnt help the beer inside it. Fortunately the lightstruck is pretty faint. I get zero smoke or peatiness, by the way.

Final impression. Its really tasty.  But its interesting to me how similar it is to new castle brown, and im not confusing the lightstruck issue. I had not tried an actual from Scotland Scottish 60/70/80 before this one. Now that I have, if I was at a pub and ordered a Scottish and they brought me a new castle brown instead, I would not know. Perhaps side by side I could tell them apart but I would not bet money on it.

The new bjcp guidelines are probably going to drop the shillings name and go with light heavy and export. IMO now that Scotland voted against independence last month, they should just consolidate NEB and 60/70/80 and call it northern British ale. There is not enough difference to justify 4 catagories for what is really just one beer.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:03:42 am by klickitat jim »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:32:10 pm »
Westmalle Tripel: Best by 6/15. Way less phenolic that the US and homebrewed versions ive had. No solventy issues at all. Belly warmer but no heat on the mouth. A prime example of what fluffy is in mouthfeel.

Boy, in my opinion commercial example calibration is a must. You simply can not be an authority on a style without having examined one of the top examples.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »
Westmalle Tripel: Best by 6/15. Way less phenolic that the US and homebrewed versions ive had. No solventy issues at all. Belly warmer but no heat on the mouth. A prime example of what fluffy is in mouthfeel.

Boy, in my opinion commercial example calibration is a must. You simply can not be an authority on a style without having examined one of the top examples.

+1. Westmalle is such a great beer, the standard for tripel. There a few good American ones , but most are overly phenolic by comparison, some are hot, too. Descriptions are great but you gotta try it to know what tripel really is. I do love Chimay Cinq Cents and Karmeliet too, but Westmalle is pretty much perfect IMO.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 03:09:09 pm »
What's the date on the Fullers beers? Honestly, the ESB still tastes fantastic past its prime, but it's a night and day difference if you can get a fresh sample. That is a killer haul, by the way. Your taste buds are getting spoiled this weekend!

I just got a mix-a-six myself tonight. Here in RI you can only get beer in liquor stores. I was just over the line in CT at a supermarket and was surprised when I saw a decent mix-a-six section. I got three brews from Connecticut breweries I've never even heard of, plus Sam IPL, Batch 19, and Blue Point Octoberfest. I've been meaning to try the Batch 19, but never found it available as a single until tonight.

ESB had no born on date but best by Jan 15 so it might be getting long in the tooth. Beautiful beer though. Not much gead retention. Much more caramel and less bitter than I anticipated. That might be due to age but I'll bet even fresh its not as hoppy as one might expect. This one makes Red Hook ESB seem like an IPA.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 03:10:28 pm »

+1. Westmalle is such a great beer, the standard for tripel. There a few good American ones , but most are overly phenolic by comparison, some are hot, too. Descriptions are great but you gotta try it to know what tripel really is. I do love Chimay Cinq Cents and Karmeliet too, but Westmalle is pretty much perfect IMO.

True stuff. My next tripel will be mashed much lower and fermented cooler.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 10:01:00 am »
I totally agree.  It's kinda spoiled me for drinking other tripels.  I lucked into creating a recipe that's kinda close and I brew it regularly.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:01:55 am »

True stuff. My next tripel will be mashed much lower and fermented cooler.

Mine is mashed at 148 for 90 min, and fermented at 63 for a week or so before raising it to finish.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 04:08:41 pm »

Love the Chimay Cinq Cents!